APS-SL3N-512 Transferring hard drive to new device Would this be possible?

transrights
transrights Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in Aspire Laptops

I have a laptop with a hard drive, model number APS-SL3N-512. Ideally I'd like to be able to take it out of my current device and have it transferred to a new computer. I'm interested in this model: https://www.laptoplist.com/acer/aspire/5/156-inches-a515-54-59w2-i-5-10210u-2019

Would this be possible? If not, are there models it would be possible with?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    edited January 2023
    • The Aspire A515-54 model that you have a link to, has provisions for a 1x M.2 PCIe Gen3 x2 drive and a 1x 2.5" SATA-3 6GB/s and comes with a 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD boot drive with Windows 10 Home

If you want to use the OS from that HDD from your old laptop then you need to get a SATA plug and connect the 2.5: drive to the laptop and then clone this old 2.5" drive to the A515-54s M.2 drive internally as that is the quickest way to do a clone, but the oem A515-54s boot drive is only 256GB so as long as you don't have more than 256GB of data on that old 2.5" HDD then it will be ok and you can clone this drive straight onto the new laptop, if you have more than 256GB then you will need to get a new M.2 SSD drive for this laptop of your choice like either a 512GB or a 1TB as M.2 drives are 5 times plus quicker than a 2.5" SATA-5 HDD or SSD ..

Also, I 'm sure if this new A515-54 has a kit for the 2.5" HDD, as most Acer laptops have if they have an option, so check that out with the retailer. Because for a 2.5: and if it hasn't got the kit, you will need to buy an Acer "FFC CABLE FOR HDD(12P/17P,5V) - Acer part#: 50.HGLN7.003" and also buy the 2.5" HDD BRACKET - Acer part#: 33.HGLN7.001" and then buy a screw set (that's the easiest way) from eBay or Amazon as there are two different types of screws to secure the 2.5" drive to the bracket that needs 4x screws and it needs 4x screws to secure the HDD and Bracket to the laptop base. Good luck and hope this helps you out