installing a second SSD to my acer aspire 5 slim

cherrycoke
cherrycoke Member Posts: 1 New User

so i have a acer aspire 5 and im thinking of adding the extra HDD/SSD to it and i was wondering if i add the drive of my choice will my computer pick it up and be able to run programs from it and use it not only as storage but have my cpu pick it up and run it there as well and not just from my SSD stick i have in it already i already planned out the parts i needed for it and plan on doing it myself with ofc help from youtube videos of many other people doing it i do know what type of drives my laptop needs so dont worry about asking those types of questions and i might as well ask as well about my ram; i plan on getting g.skill rams two of which are each 16GBS each they are meant for laptops the ones im planning to get. other people have used them and said that it would be a good idea to have them they arent the best but will fit the picture of what i want i do partly use my laptop as a gaming laptop but not all of the time so i shouldnt burn anything out from high usage and the program i will mainly run on it is league of legends and genshin impact from time to time since ill be mostly busy started tomorrow but im just making sure before i buy anything and regret it after i want to make sure i know what im getting myself into and know how to fix it if i have to go into BIOs to get it to pick up my drive itself.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer

You should be able to add an SSD up to 2TBs with no issues depending on your A5's full model number. For example A515-54. Some models may only accept a 2.5" SSD, while others only an m.2 SSD. Go to crucial.com and run their scanner on your machine for recommended RAM and SSD.

Jack E/NJ

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084

@cherrycoke

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below. The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below. There is an option to "start your scan " and " select your computer " . Please chose the options and try it. It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide. We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options. You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.      

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer

You should be able to add an SSD up to 2TBs with no issues depending on your A5's full model number. For example A515-54. Some models may only accept a 2.5" SSD, while others only an m.2 SSD. Go to crucial.com and run their scanner on your machine for recommended RAM and SSD.

Jack E/NJ