G276HL monitor *sometimes* says "Input Not Supported"

GaryInCO
GaryInCO Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I have a G276HL -- old monitor, but it's still got a beautiful image, and I'd like to keep using it. But one thing drives me batty.

I use it as an external display for an HP Spectre x360 15 laptop. When it works, it works perfectly. The settings, drivers, etc are apparently correct. But just about every time the system shuts off the display, it wakes up again with an "Input Not Supported" message.

Most posts assume the problem is caused by wrong settings -- settings that never work at all. But it works fine, until you turn the display off & back on. I can almost always clear up the problem with a bunch of fussing and poking: power-cycle the monitor, display the Windows "Display Settings" and change the Multiple Display settings to Duplicate or Show on 1 (thus turning off the monitor) then revert, unplug & re-plug the monitor, etc. After many attempts one of those will eventually work. Sometimes I have to reboot. I don't have to change any settings, I just need to kick the monitor to tell it to try again. But it's a royal PITA.

It's been doing this for years. During that time I've rebooted many times, replaced the laptop battery a few times, updated / reinstalled Windows, etc. Any suggestions how to fix it?

G276HL

HDMI external connection to DMI input

Windows 10 Pro, version 21H2, Build 19044.2364

Drivers: Intel HD Grphis 630, version 25.20.100.6373, and Radeon RX Vega M GL, version 25.20.15008.2 (HP says they're current)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    edited January 2023

>>>HP Spectre x360 15 laptop>>> shuts off the display, it wakes up again with an "Input Not Supported" message.>>>

Sorry, yes while annoying, this seems to be normal behavior for many external monitors if the laptop's external port's signal output completely shuts off during sleep mode just as if the laptop was turned off. The monitor essentially assumes a "no signal" power off state from the laptop to conserve energy. A workaround that might be more predictable is turn the monitor off when laptop is aleeping. Then turn the monitor back on JUST BEFORE waking or powering up the laptop. You could also try to install the Win10 monitor driver from this link if you haven't done so already to see if this behavior has been modified. The user manual is also available for download if you don't have one.

https://www.acer.com/us-en/support?search=G276HLK&filter=global_download&suggest=G276;0

Jack E/NJ

• @GaryInCO

Step 1

It might be a cable issue..  Remove all the cables from monitor.  Press and hold the power button of monitor for 1 min.  Connect all the cables back. Try to turn on the monitor.  Connect the monitor to computer and check. If the cable is non removable please don't try to remove it. 

Please remove the cable between monitor and computer.   Try to connect it back and check.  If possible try to use an alternative cable and check.  

If the problem persists try to use an alternative power cable and display cable and check.  Try to bypass the surge protector and connect the monitor directly to power outlet.  Try to connect monitor on a different power outlet or surge protector and check.  

On the monitor – use the control buttons.  There will be an option to reset monitor settings to default.  Try to reset the monitor and check.  

To isolate the issue, try to use the same monitor to a different computer and check or Try to use an alternative monitor on this computer and check.

Step 2

We need to determine whether it is a issue with monitor or computer or cables.  We need to narrow down or isolate the issue.   

Try to use this monitor on a different computer and check.  If the monitor is working fine on the other computer then the issue is on the computer side. Try to use an alternative monitor to your computer and check it.   If you are facing the same problem on the alternative monitor then again the problem is on the computer side.  It might also be the issue with cables.  Try to use alternative cables and check.  Check whether they are connected properly. Try to reseat the cables and check.  Tried to reconnect the cables properly. 

If it is a software issue on the computer then follow the steps given below:

Try windows x 

go to device manager 

expand display adapter

right click on display driver – uninstall 

Restart the computer 

It should work fine.. 

If it is still not working 

Uninstall the display adapter from device manager 

Dont restart the computer. 

Go to support.acer.com 

chose your country 

type snid or chose your model 

go to drivers 

Install the display driver 

It should work fine.. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Does this monitor have a function called QUICK START?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • GaryInCO

Tinkerer

@JackE thanks, good suggestion. I'll try that.

@egydiocoelho it has a Quick Start manual, but the full menu doesn't mention a Quick Start function.

@William_mk2 wow, lots of ideas. Thanks, but it'll take me a while to work through them. :-)

• JackE
    edited January 2023

>>>it has a Quick Start manual, but the full menu doesn't mention a Quick Start function.>>>

If it exists, it'd be in this OSD menuitem. These manuals often apply to other models so the OSDs can be different.

Jack E/NJ

• GaryInCO

Tinkerer

edited January 2023
  • JackE

You might try to install the Win7 drivers on the HP in Win10's Win7 compatiblility mode from this link.

https://www.acer.com/us-en/support?search=G276HL&filter=global_download&suggest=g276hl;0

Jack E/NJ