My laptop Swift SF514-52. blanked out after I downloaded and install bios driver from acer website.

Options
PSALMLOLU
PSALMLOLU Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

Pls help me. I downloaded a bios update from acer website and after the installation was done, my laptop restarted and the screen went blank.

The keyboard light was on and the fan is working.

Please help me.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,948 Trailblazer
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

What exact model Swift 5 is it, it should be something like SFxxx-xx. As you might have done the bios update wrong and bricked your bios, The most common symptom of a BIOS corruption or crash is the BIOS simply refusing to POST. If the computer turns on but doesn’t boot any further, you may have a BIOS problem. Troubleshooting Problems with the BIOS may be fixed by checking the settings in the BIOS setup menu and if you have bricked the bios then the bios chip needs to reprogrammed with a.CH341A USB Programmer by an experienced technician, don't attempt to do it yourself as you can do more damage and the whole bios chip will need to be replaced, if its available, as new laptops bios chips are very hard to buy.

Try this first, turn the laptop off completely, then undo the back cover, take the battery out, take the bios battery out and the ram, leave these components disconnected for 15min and replace all components and reboot the laptop, and see if the laptop boots, if it dosent then you have done some damage to the laptop with wrongly flashing the bios.

Answers

• PSALMLOLU

Tinkerer

Options

Its an Acer Swift 5 laptop

• StevenGen
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

What exact model Swift 5 is it, it should be something like SFxxx-xx. As you might have done the bios update wrong and bricked your bios, The most common symptom of a BIOS corruption or crash is the BIOS simply refusing to POST. If the computer turns on but doesn’t boot any further, you may have a BIOS problem. Troubleshooting Problems with the BIOS may be fixed by checking the settings in the BIOS setup menu and if you have bricked the bios then the bios chip needs to reprogrammed with a.CH341A USB Programmer by an experienced technician, don't attempt to do it yourself as you can do more damage and the whole bios chip will need to be replaced, if its available, as new laptops bios chips are very hard to buy.

Try this first, turn the laptop off completely, then undo the back cover, take the battery out, take the bios battery out and the ram, leave these components disconnected for 15min and replace all components and reboot the laptop, and see if the laptop boots, if it dosent then you have done some damage to the laptop with wrongly flashing the bios.

• PSALMLOLU

Tinkerer

Options

It is Swift SF514-52.

When i power it on, only the keyboard light s9ws light and one can hear the fan working. After some minute, I can feel the laptop warming up but the display shows nothing.

What other solution can i try?

• StevenGen
    edited January 2023
    Options

You must have flashed the bios incorrectly. Which bios version did you flash your laptop with, was it the last version: 1.11, as you have bricked the bios chip, as there is no way that an Acer bios is corrupted, you need to take your SF514-52 to an experienced tech that can reprogram your bios externally and reinstate the version 1.11 into the bios chip, there is no other way that this can be done. This community forbids any guides on reprograming guides on the bios, its part of the agreement for all members.

• solpicciotto
    solpicciotto Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

same just happened to me with a Swift SF514-52T. I went to Acer Support and gave my S/N to get available updates. I was surprised that the list included many prior to my laptop puchase date. I updated the bios with the latest update 1.11, which worked fine. I then also ran the 1.07 update, which seemed to be for something different. After running the update, it automatically went to restart the computer, turned off, but when it turned back on there was only a black screen. After quite a while I powered off, but on powering back on I still get only a black screen.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

It shouldn't have let you do a downgrade from 1.11 to 1.07. If it somehow did that could be the issue… The latest versions always include all the fixes from previous ones.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.