Upgrade Graphics Card? Acer Aspire 5 A514-54 14” Laptop Intel Core i3

MrJackT14
MrJackT14 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hello! 

I use my Acer Aspire 5 A514-54 14” Laptop to live stream outdoors using OBS. I connect a video capture card device to my laptop and then I connect my camcorder to that via a HDMI cable. I then connect my laptop to my mobile hotspot so I can stream to YT via OBS. I noticed that when selecting the encoder I can only choose the Hardware QSV H.264 or x264. I obviously always chose the Hardware QSV H.264. 

So my question is, is there a way to upgrade the graphics card or add a graphics card so that I could potentially stream at 4K outdoors? I currently stream at 1080p at 30fps and that works perfectly fine. I am just wondering if the laptop could handle 4K streaming and if not is there a way to upgrade anything?

Also, does anybody know if the Camlink 4K would work well on the laptop before I purchase it? 

Many Thanks

Jack

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder

Afriad its not possible to upgrade the CPU or GPU , one rough (ish) way to check if it would handle it, is that 4k will use around 4X the resources to encode , so if you are using less than 20% of the encoder it may be able to handle it :)