Acer Spin 713 CP713-SW-5874 touchscreen failure and stopped working

yar57
yar57 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 2023 in Chromebooks

The touchscreen on my Acer Spin 713 (CP713-SW-5874) has stopped working. There was a short period, before it stopped working completely, when opening and closing the chromebook lid would correct the issue.

The screen has no visible injury and the touchpad works fine. I have opened it and the single cable I saw running from the screen to the motherboard looked intact. I don't know if there is another cable specifically dealing with touchscreen. I also did a hard reset. Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,738 Pathfinder

@yar57

Try the below step and check

Factory reset your Chromebook

1. Sign out of your Chromebook.
    2. Press and hold Ctrl + Alt + Shift + r.
    3. Select Restart.
    4. In the box that appears, select Powerwash 

Continue.

Follow the steps that appear and sign in with your Google Account.

1. Note: The account you sign in with after you reset your Chromebook will be the owner account.
    2. Once you've reset your Chromebook:

If still you have issue than follow the steps in the below thread

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/675165/acer-cp713-2w-5874-spin-chromebook-touchscreen-not-responding

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

>>>There was a short period, before it stopped working completely, when opening and closing the chromebook lid would correct the issue.>>>

The LCD video cable likely needs to be replaced from broken wires in the hinge area from wear and tear of opening/closing the lid too much. Google search keywords 'cp713-2w' 'lcd cable' for vendors who ship to your location. About $25usd for a new replacement. Also google search keywords 'cp713-2w' 'disassembly' for videos on how to do this.

Jack E/NJ

• yar57
    yar57 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks very much for the tips and suggestions.

• JackE

Is the machine still under warranty? You may have to contact an authorized Acer service center for this model.

Jack E/NJ

• Randyjaco
    Randyjaco Member Posts: 1 New User

This problem happens frequently on my 713. I will have to use the keyboard for a while and then it will self-correct and I can use the touchscreen again. It is very annoying and appears to be a common problem. It appears that Acer is doing nothing to solve it. 😡

• JackE

Click this link. Choose your country. Click the support link near top of country page. Enter your machine's serial number id (SNID) and arrange for warranty repair.

Jack E/NJ