Note on CPU updates if install a new CPU and is unresponsive.

padgett
padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
edited January 2023 in Windows 11

Having fun with Ryzen 5 updates to make MBs compatible with Windows 11. Often turns fans on but nothing else and "G" models have not graphics. Turns out the motherboard probably needs a BIOS update (and a good time to update memory to 3200MHz and replace a HDD with an Acer SDD).

Updates are usually listed on the manufacturer's website and state reason and requirements.

Bottom line: if install a new CPU and is unresponsive, check for a BIOS update.

ps once update is started do not touch anything until done. Corruption is easy if interrupted.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• padgett
    Answer ✓

No specific model though have been several questions lately about desktop upgrades (mainly to meet Windows 11 requrements).

My experiences were with AMD 4600g CPUs (now have three) since were on sale on Amazon (under a Benjamin). When bored I often build or upgrade computers (now have two 317 notebooks with SSD replacing HDD but that is easy, replacing the CPUs was an experience. All are noticeably faster now. B

Got this deep mainly because first using a Gigabyte B450 Aorus M "gaming" motherboard (and Acer SSD) just worked. Second didn't and that started a month long effort to find out why.

Since was not simple, thought I would document it.

Answers

• padgett

BTW, if AMD cpu is a "G" model (has Radeon Graphics) you may not only need a new driver but uninstall/reboot may not work. It may be necessary to go to the AMD Radeon site, download the driver suite, and execute.

My symptom was only one of dual monitors was working and it varied which monitor worked.

Back in the daze it was much easier to build a computer, they just worked.

• Good advice but what exact model desktop are you talking about padgett as with the AMD CPUs upgrade that is the case and especially with the 5000 series CPUs like the 5600G 5700G with Radeon™ Graphics and the 5500 to 5950X CPUs, give more details of specs to make it clearer. Btw, I had to do that with a desktop with the ASUS TUF B550 chipset mobo as the 5000 series 5900X CPU didn't work with the mobos oem installed bios and it had to be updated with the ASUS BIOS FlashBack method.

• padgett
    Answer ✓

No specific model though have been several questions lately about desktop upgrades (mainly to meet Windows 11 requrements).

My experiences were with AMD 4600g CPUs (now have three) since were on sale on Amazon (under a Benjamin). When bored I often build or upgrade computers (now have two 317 notebooks with SSD replacing HDD but that is easy, replacing the CPUs was an experience. All are noticeably faster now. B

Got this deep mainly because first using a Gigabyte B450 Aorus M "gaming" motherboard (and Acer SSD) just worked. Second didn't and that started a month long effort to find out why.

Since was not simple, thought I would document it.