How to force usb ports to turn off when computer is shut down in Acer TravelMate P2 TMP214-41-G2-R5P

Bolger
Bolger Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 2023 in TravelMate and Extensa

When I shut down my laptop the USB ports still make an audible sound when there is a usb device plugged in (like a high pitched water faucet, faintly audible from 2 meters away), happens most clearly with a usb switch I have. Ironically this only seems to happen when the computer is turned off.

Relevant settings in the UEFI seem to be greyed out (there is something called "Power-off USB charge" set to [Disabled] but it's greyed out). Turning off fast start-up doesn't make a difference.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,463 Trailblazer

>>>When I shut down my laptop the USB ports still make an audible sound when there is a usb device plugged in (like a high pitched water faucet,>>>

Can you still hear the sound when charger unplugged?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

You do have a USB port that provides power to the device even when the laptop is off. It's #5 here:

Try moving that device to a different port.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bolger

@JackE Unplugging from the wall does change the sound, it's more quiet and higher pitched unplugged.

@billsey I originally had the usb device in 5 but noticed that the sound gets quieter in 6, so that does have an impact but doesn't resolve the issue.

The sound is loudest with a usb switch I have but is audible with just a regular usb stick plugged in to ports 5 or 6 and even the one on the other side. None of my other computers have this issue and appear dead as a rock after shutdown.

I'll probably buy a usb extension cord to test whether that has an effect.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,755 Pathfinder

@Bolger that #5 USB port provides power even when the laptop is off and plugged in. That USB port will be off when the laptop is unplugged and the Power-Off USB charging is turned off in quick access.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • JackE

>>>"Power-off USB charge" set to [Disabled] but it's greyed out<<<

Yeah, agree with AnhEZ28 Try Quick Access app to turn it off. This app can take control of certain BIOS functions so probably the reason why it's grayed out.

Jack E/NJ

• Bolger

Turning off that setting in the Quick Access app was the first thing I did, unfortunately it doesn't solve the issue.

• JackE

>>>happens most clearly with a usb switch I have>>>@JackE Unplugging from the wall does change the sound, it's more quiet and higher pitched unplugged.>>>

Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable' near top of next pane. Scroll down and uncheck box for fast startup. Save and shutdown Wndows normally.

Then disconnect charger again. Unplug everything from all external ports including dongles. Any faint sounds? Now one by one, test each USB device individually to see which ones seem make the sound reappear.

Jack E/NJ