Acer Aspire 3 A315-55G-549B laptop lag/slowness after upgrade to windows 11 from windows 10

sharaths463
sharaths463 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hi,

My laptop performance has been decreased after the windows was upgraded to windows 11 from windows 10. It lags a lot . System was working fine while it was running with windows 10. My laptop got upgraded with eligible update to windows 11. Could you please help me with troubleshoot, i've even updated to latest bios availalble for upgrade.

System specifications

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

8GB DDR4 RAM

1TB HDD

2GB Nvidia GeForce MX230 with 2GB VRAM

Best Answer

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

@sharaths463

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below. The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below. There is an option to "start your scan " and " select your computer " . Please chose the options and try it. It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide. We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options. You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.      

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

>>>System was working fine while it was running with windows 10>>>

Despite the Microsoft Win11 hype and flashing images to upgrade now, the ACER OEM Win11 drivers are not yet available for this model on the Acer downloads . We have no way of knowing when or even if they will appear. So like the rest of us Acer users, you just have to keep checking the Acer downloads to see if the Win11 appear. Meanwhile, you have two choices. Either revert back to Win10 that was working fine if possible. Or try download and installing iobit's Driver Booster freeware to see if it can fine any better Win11 drivers on line for your model to help speed things up.

Jack E/NJ

• sharaths463

Tinkerer

edited January 2023

@JackE can you please let me know compatible m2 ssd upgrade for my laptop and is the limit for ssd upgrade along with hdd is 256gb?. I can see that the hard disk usage is always 100% on my laptop (1TB HDD) and RAM usage is (6.5Gb/8gb) with minimal apps open, please have a look at above screenshot. Does it solve after upgrade, please let me know the approach

• @sharaths463

Please type reset this pc on search

click on reset this pc

There will be an option like Goback ( If it was upgraded few weeks back )

click on goback

It will take the computer to windows 10

Go to support.acer.com 

chose your country 

type snid or chose your model 

There will be be a drop down menu below the operating system

Click on it

It will show you the operating system which is designed for your computer model

Try to check it everything three months. If you are able to see Windows 11 then you can start upgrading the computer from Windows 10 to Windows 11

If the go back option is not highligted ....

How to install windows 10 using media creation tool

Try this method..

On a different working computer. 

Go to the website 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Below the info Create Windows 10 installation media

click on download tool now.. 

It will download the windows media creation tool - click on media creation file on the lower left corner.

Insert a blank 8 gb flash drive 

it will download and install the windows 10 on the blank flash drive.. 

Now insert the flash drive on the broken computer

Try f2 while turning on the computer. It will go to bios

go to main - f12 boot menu - change it to enabled

Go to boot option tab

change the settings to ..

Boot mode : UEFI

Secure boot : Enabled

F10 - Save the changes

Try f12 while turning on the computer.

chose usb on the boot menu

Boot it using flash drive..

click on install

chose custom

on where do you want to install windows screen - remove all the partitions

It will become like one single unallocated space  

There is no need to format it.. 

chose the unallocated space 

click on next 

It will install the operating system. 

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

@sharaths463

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below. The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below. There is an option to "start your scan " and " select your computer " . Please chose the options and try it. It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide. We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options. You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.      

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• @sharaths463

Kindly go through the details captured from service manual designed for your computer.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Picture 5

Picture 6

Picture 7

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• sharaths463

Tinkerer

@William_mk2 - I can see only internal ssd over the website. Will it allow me to add ssd+hdd on my laptop?

can you please let me know compatible m2 ssd upgrade for my laptop and is the limit for ssd upgrade along with hdd is 256gb?. I can see that the hard disk usage is always 100% on my laptop (1TB HDD) and RAM usage is (6.5Gb/8gb) with minimal apps open, please have a look at above screenshot. Does it solve after upgrade, please let me know the approach

• @sharaths463

I checked your screen shot

First of all we need to determine whether it is hardware or software issue. Sometimes we might have to uninstall all the third party items which are installed on on your computer. We might have to get rid of all the unnecessary programs out of your memory. We might have to disable all the unwanted startup items.

You can use both the hdd and ssd on your computer.

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• sharaths463

Tinkerer

@William_mk2 - thank you :) . could you please share service manual for acer aspire a315-55g . Shared manual was for a315-55kg

• @@sharaths463

I checked your screen shot

First of all we need to determine whether it is hardware or software issue. Sometimes we might have to uninstall all the third party items which are installed on your computer. We might have to get rid of all the unnecessary programs out of your memory. We might have to disable all the unwanted startup items.

Kindly follow the steps given below to determine whether it is a hardware or software issue. After doing all the steps given below your cpu usage will be reduced. Even after doing after all the steps if you face the same issue then you can think about upgrading your computer.

Try windows + r - on the run window - type msconfig - click ok  

click on services

check - hide all microsoft services 

click on disable all

click on startup 

disable all the startup items 

click on apply - ok - restart the computer.   Loading process will be very fast now..

Note: You can always enable the services and startup items later or set it to normal startup from selective startup later on the General tab  

Try windows + r - on the run window - type appwiz.cpl - click ok  

it will show you the list of programs

remove all the unwanted third party programs. 

Please don’t remove any drivers.  

If you are not sure , please don’t remove it.  

Try windows + r - on the run window type temp - click ok - it will show you the bunch of files - try ctrl + a - select all files - press the shift key and click on delete files 

Try windows + r - on the run window type %temp% - click ok - It will show you the bunch of files - try ctrl + a - select all files - press the shift key and click on delete files 

If you are not able to remove some files - click on skip and then click click on continue.. 

Try windows + r - on the run window - type cleanmgr - click ok

click on all the boxes except recycle bin and thumnail

Delete the items which are checked 

Try windows x - on the menu - chose command prompt admin or power shell admin 

click on yes 

on the blue or black window type sfc /scannow 

It will be running till 100 %

Try to do a chrome reset 

open chrome

click on three dots on top right corner 

click on settings

Scroll down - go to advanced

click on restore setting to default

you will see reset settings - cancel

click on reset settings 

Open chrome 

it will work faster now

If it is still not working then we have to do a refresh and reset

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 

or 

on start - type here to search - type reset this pc - click on reset this pc on the top - click on get started 

It will show you keep my files and remove everything

chose keep my files 

chose the account - type the password - click on local reinstall - click on reset 

It will be in progress.. 

login to computer and start using the computer. 

If it is still not working 

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 

chose remove everything 

click on local reinstall - just remove my files - click on reset

It will be in progress

Note:

If you do refresh ( keep my files ) - all your personal files like pictures, music , documents , videos will still be intact.  Only the applications will be lost

If you do reset ( remove everything ) - you are doing a factory default.  It will become like a day one computer.  It will wipe out everything and take your computer to day one like a new computer. 

You can also do the recovery in an alternative way..

There are two alt keys on the keyboard. If you look at the bottom row of keyboard you can see the one on the left side of space bar and the other on the right side of space bar. The alt key on the right side will be looking like alt, alt gr or alt car. Turn off the computer. Hold the alt key on the left and tap f10 continuously.  It will go to repair mode. It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot.  If it is not going to repair mode, turn off the computer. Turn on the computer. Hold the right alt key ( alt gr or alt car or alt ) and then tap f10 continuously. It will go to chose an option continue and troubleshoot..

It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc

click on keep my files ( only applications will be lost )  chose your account and type your password  - click on local reinstall - click on reset

It will be in progress 

If the keep my files option is not working 

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – just remove my files – click on reset 

It will reinstall windows. 

If the just remove my files is not working.. 

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – Fully clean the drive – click on reset 

It will reinstall windows. 

Note: You can also go to chose an option , continue , troubleshoot by holding the alt key + tapping f10 or alt gr + tapping f10 on the keyboard while turning on the computer.  Once you see the troubleshoot option, you can stop tapping the f10 and stop holding the alt key.  Then you can try the keep my files and remove everything ( just remove by files and fully clean the drive ) by following the steps which was mentioned above. 

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• @sharaths463

Unfortunately we dont have an option to share the complete service manual but we are always here to help you to share the snippets. I have already shared all the snippets regarding the memory and hdd upgrade. If you need specfications of any other device kindly let us know we are always here to help you.

You can always download the user manual

Go to support.acer.com 

chose your country 

type snid or chose your model 

go to documents

You can download the user manual

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• sharaths463

Tinkerer

@William_mk2 is Acer FA100, M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x 4 SSD, full of the latest technology, 128 GB up to 2 TB, read- & write- speeds up to 3300 / 2800 MB/s  ssd compatible with Acer Aspire 3 A315-55G. If yes what is the max capacity that can be installed?

• JackE

Should be able to use up to 2TB capacities with no issues.

Jack E/NJ

• sharaths463

Tinkerer

Thanks @JackE and @William_mk2 , my laptop slowness issue got resolved after installing nvme 500gb ssd.

• JackE

Thanks for reporting back on your success. 🙂

Jack E/NJ