Battery doesn't load properly with some docking stations - Swift X 14" (SFX14-51G)

roblib
roblib Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited January 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

Hi,

I have several docking stations here. Good news is that all docking stations are kind of working and Windows Pro 11 shows with all docks that the laptop is plugged in.

Unfortunately, with some the battery goes down slowly in idle mode (logged in, display on). When sleeping the battery is loading slowly.

It happens with this 2 docking stations:

• Dell P2422HE (65W PD - 20V/3.25A possible)
  • Dell TB16 (Thunderbolt 3 100W)

Is there any solution, could this be fixed with a new firmware? I have installed Bios 1.09.

I know that 65W could be to less for some scenarios, but with a simple 65W PD Power Supply the battery is loading properly (about 2h for full load).

Answers

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • roblib

Thank you for your fast response. The info you gave me I already read. Also the firmware is up to date (docks and laptop).

For the Dell P2422HE I tried also to plug-in a "dumb" USB-C cable and voila it loads. Of course all other functions are not working. I am pretty sure that the 2 devices connected with the "smart" cable cannot find a proper profile so the Laptop just get 5V/1A.

• Can you send a picture of this setup?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • roblib

It looks completly same as yours.

• What happens when you enable tbt wake and usb wake?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• roblib

I will try tomorrow and let you know afterwards.

• roblib

Hi @egydiocoelho,

Unfortunately, it didn't help =(

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

The Dell P2422HE only provides 65W, so that behavior is expected since the system requires 100W for normal charging. I don't see any obvious reason why the Dell TB16 shouldn't work.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • roblib

Hi @billsey ,

Thank you for your answer. From USB4 implementation, the laptop should get 65W then, now it gets 5-10W from P2422HE, same for TB16. I think there is a problem with the firmware. With a simple 65W supply, it loads with 65W!

• Do you also connect other devices to the docking station? Example: external monitor.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• roblib

Yes of course, otherwise I wouldn't need a docking station.

• Does the same issue occur when you disconnect the other devices from the dock?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• roblib

Yes, no difference. I think there is a problem with the handshake for loading through usb port.

• roblib

Hey Acer,

I still have no solution, but plugging in 2 cable when on dock.

I think that's nothing that should be normal for a modern device (all other devices in company working with multiple different docks).

Please support.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

The laptop doesn't limit the current it receives via the USB-C/TBT port, it's the dock that is providing limited power to the laptop. Your laptop will pull 100W for charging, so if the dock only provides a lower current then the laptop will not charge at full speed, and as you see it will actually discharge slowly while running. Just use a dock that can provide the full 100W and you should not have any problems.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • roblib

@billsey : Thanks for your reply. The Dell TB16 (Thunderbolt 3 100W) has 100W, still its not working. AND: before I replace all Docking Stations we have here, I will replace the 2 Acers Swift X. We have other Acers without issues here.

I still can't understand why the device is not getting 65Watts from different docks. It would be enough through the day.

• I would try to update the bios to the latest version and also update the dock firmware.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• pandanio
    pandanio Member Posts: 3 New User

Any updates on this? I have similar issue on my SFX14-51G. I'm using external monitor connected via usb-c (thunderbolt). So basically monitor is my "docking station". The display is ok, usb connection ok, but laptop is not charging properly. Im slowly loosing power on my laptop. The workaround is to connect regular charger to the second usb-c port, which is not what i want.
    I tried 3 different monitors: Dell, LG, Samsung - the problem is always the same. Also, i tried other brand laptops - and there was no problem with charging.
    I have latest BIOS - 1.08

Will it be fixed?

• roblib
    edited November 2023

Unfortunately not, I tried a lot of different docks and this model, doesn't want to charge when it is docked. It seems like it switches down to 5V then. When I use a basic usb-c charger with less then 100W (like 65W) it loads quiet well. So my hope is still that someday Acer will publish a firmware update where it also loads with most Docking Stations.

I can't understand why a USB4 device can be sold, when Power Delivery is not working properly.

Also support just fingers to the documentation, where they write that the device needs a 100W charger. This is just dumb.

As a company we switched now to another brand (also devices that claim to need 100W, here we only get a message "slow loading", but it still loads full very fast). Just because we cannot trust and didn't get any support here. We cannot use it like this in an office where we do not want to install a power supply extra for these devices.

• pandanio
    pandanio Member Posts: 3 New User

Thx roblib for your answer. At least im not the only one who's struggling with this. I cannot afford now to switch to new laptop. Hope it will be fixed someday by Acer.