Aspire 5 KB issue - letters on the keyboard being almost invisible in normal office light!

PaulWW
PaulWW Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited February 2023 in Aspire Laptops

HI Folks,

Bought thsi unit October 2022 and would like some input from other users.

Firstly, letters on the keyboard being almost invisible in normal office light untill the backligyt comes on BUT only after key is pressed and then goes off again in a few seconds.

Secondly, I am experiencing severe wear on certain keys along with troubling scratches on the keys. I use this in an office environment with my soft office fingers so it is not getting dust or sand betwwn the key and my fingers.

Anybody else with these issues and what could a solution be?

Processor wise, great machine BUT the darn keyboard is spoiling the user experience to the point that I actually want to get rid of the darn thing, take the loss and by Lenovo again, which lasted 11 trouble free years.

PS - I have been in touch with the Acer accredited technical support people here in South Africa to get a black keyboard fitted, but they imported another grey one (after I paid 100% upfront), and refunded me less the freight!!!!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Sorry. I'm sure if you google search the keywords 'excessive keyboard key wear acer' you'll find others. But maybe not with the same model. Change acer to dell, asus, hp, etc and you'll probably find even more.

FYI, you're posting this complaint on an Acer users forum. We're not Acer employees or customer service reps, just Acer users like yourself trying to help and suggest solutions to other Acer users. If my earlier suggestions are unacceptable and the machine is still under warranty, go to this link. Choose your country. Click support tab near the top of the country page. Enter the serial number id (SNID) and arrange for warranty repair or replacement of the keyboard.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    edited January 2023

Shut the machine off. Turn it back on and IMMEDIATELY tap the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Click on the BIOS MAIN tab. Press Ctrl+S to reveal any hidden options. Many Aspire5 models have a BIOS option to disable the keyboard backlight timeout.

The keyboard keys can be made a lot more visible and durable by google searching the keywords ' laptop keyboard stickers' for vendors who ship complete sets to your location for less than about $20usd. I find large printed luminscent stickers quite nice. Don't even need backlighting to see these keys.

Jack E/NJ

• PaulWW

Tinkerer

Thank you Jack,

Appreciate the guidance and work around thinking.

• JackE

>>>>keyboard is spoiling the user experience>>>

Good luck with trying to use it --- or sell it --- or whatever gives you a better user experience. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• PaulWW

Tinkerer

This is proving to be a very disappointing owner experience.

Apart from the visibility of the keys issues I am now seeing excessive wear of the keys. This after only 3 months of ownership. Bearing in mind that I work in an office environment and have real "office Johnny" fingers I am astounded at the amount of wear on the keys.

Has anybody else had issues with wear on the keys?

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Sorry. I'm sure if you google search the keywords 'excessive keyboard key wear acer' you'll find others. But maybe not with the same model. Change acer to dell, asus, hp, etc and you'll probably find even more.

FYI, you're posting this complaint on an Acer users forum. We're not Acer employees or customer service reps, just Acer users like yourself trying to help and suggest solutions to other Acer users. If my earlier suggestions are unacceptable and the machine is still under warranty, go to this link. Choose your country. Click support tab near the top of the country page. Enter the serial number id (SNID) and arrange for warranty repair or replacement of the keyboard.

Jack E/NJ

• PaulWW

Tinkerer

Thank you very much for the link, I wil make use of it.

I replaced an 11yr old Lenovo with this machine and that keyboard has SIGNIFICANTLY less wear than this Acer.. so I am rather disappointed.

But thank you

• crenegar
    crenegar Member Posts: 2 New User

The keyboard on this device is absolute garbage! The keys are practically invisible. My old HP's keys are so much better, I'm amazed someone could bring to market a keyboard this pathetic. It's really almost impossible to see, in any light.

• PaulWW

Tinkerer

Jip, that is excalty my gripe and neither Accer nor the retailer I pirchased from give a *****. In fact the retailer has agreed to repla ce the keyboard biut ONLY once the warranty has expired. Go figure!!