adding an SD card reader to Aspire XC-1660 where would it connect to the B56H5-AD motherboard?

Options
softU
softU Member Posts: 4 New User
edited January 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

my aspire 1660 came with a blank cover where the SD reader should be. i see than many versions of the 1660 came with a card reader

is this part available for me to upgrade my 1660?

where would it connect to the B56H5-AD motherboard?

thanks

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• softU
    Options

looks like part number DC.10411.020

can someone confirm theres a place on the mobo to connect it?

• softU
    Options

if in fact the part is a DC.10411.020 /DC.10411.021, it looks like it wants a 4- or 5-pin fan-like header

this is apparently a pic of the same B56h5-AD motherboard,

but mine has empty pins where this header is shown in the yellow circle. is that the connector im looking for?

https://i.imgur.com/gutPte2.png

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,989 Trailblazer
    Options

It should be the highlighted connector here, the bottom one is the front panel connector, the top two the SATA power (white) and SD card reader (black 5 pin USB 2.0 header):

To add a SD card reader you need the cable, the card it connects to, the bracket that holds it and screws. I'd opt for an external USB reader myself...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • anawilliam850
    anawilliam850 Member Posts: 56 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

It's possible that your Aspire 1660 model did not come with an SD card reader, and the blank cover is simply covering an empty space on the motherboard. Alternatively, the SD card reader may have been an optional feature that was not included in your particular model.

If you would like to add an SD card reader to your Aspire 1660, you may be able to find an external card reader that you can connect to your computer via a USB port. These are generally inexpensive and widely available.

If you would prefer to install an internal card reader, you may be able to find one that is compatible with your Aspire 1660 and can be installed in one of the available expansion slots on the motherboard. You would need to check the specifications of the card reader and the motherboard to ensure compatibility, and you may need to purchase any necessary mounting hardware and cables.

• codacaster
    codacaster Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2023
    Options

If you haven't got an SD card reader installed, unscrew and slide off the top cover of the PC. You will see 2 empty screw posts on the metal base plate of the PC - just behind the slot for the reader. The card reader board screws onto its own base plate and that plate screws onto the 2 posts - ensuring the reader doesn't move every time you slot your card into the reader. The reader [https://www.ebay.com/itm/255585780649] comes with the SATA cable you need and plugs into a spare SATA slot (the red slots in the mobo image above - you should have a couple spare) - but it doesn't include the base plate or screws needed to secure it.

PS: You will also need to remove the front facia of the PC to take out the rubber grommet protecting the card reader slot. There are 3 clips on the top of the facia and 2 clips at the bottom. Given all the above, my advice (unless you are absolutely determined to install internally) is to get yourself an external reader and plug it into a spare USB slot ;-)