Acer Aspire 7 (A715-42G-R8BL) Screen Refresh Rate Capped at 60 Hz

honolulu18
honolulu18 Member Posts: 3 New User

I purchased the laptop (NH.QDLEU.008) this holiday. It is advertised to have a 144 Hz refresh rate monitor, however, I have discovered that my screen is capped at 60 Hz, as seen in the first screenshot. The drivers are supposedly up to date, and the monitor hardware ID seen on the second screenshot seemingly corresponds to 144 Hz specifications. Furthermore, in the system information tab, the monitor's resolution is 1920x1080x1 Hz... All leaving me in utter confusion. Do you know how to set it to run at 144 Hz?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

While the GPU is capable of delivering 144Hz, the screen itself might only support 60Hz. Only 1 of the 3 screen options available for this model support 144Hz. You apparently have either the AUO or LGD screen. The only way to achieve 144Hz is to change to the INX screen. About $80usd. Sorry.

Jack E/NJ

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,717 Pathfinder

@honolulu18 upon looking at the specs of your model and the screen, it should have a 144Hz refresh rate. Can you show the device manager with the display driver tab expanded? Because I see in the 1st attached picture that the AMD iGPU driver might not be installed.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • honolulu18

@AnhEZ28 do you mean this tab?

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,717 Pathfinder

@honolulu18 this one

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • honolulu18

@AnhEZ28 thank you, it was indeed the problem with the driver. For anyone who has an identical problem, it is fixed by updating the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver!

• JackE

Congratulations. Thanks for reporting back. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• Bogart24
    Bogart24 Member Posts: 1 New User

How about my case, I already updated the drivers but it didn't solve the problem.

Hoping you could help.

Thanks

• JackE

Depends. If you don't have the INX 144Hz LCD screen, then 60Hz is max.

Jack E/NJ