Aspire A515-57 Battery Charge Limit stopped working

sman123
sman123 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited January 2023 in Acer Software

I have an Aspire A515-57 running Windows 11 Home. I had enabled the Battery Charge Limit feature in Acer Care Center to keep the battery at 80%. Up until today it was working fine. I never changed anything and never updated anything and did not reboot. I was just casually working away and then heard a beep indicating the battery was charging. Now my laptop charges to 100% and stays there. I tried disabling and re-enabling that feature. Rebooting. Making sure Care Center is running in the background after reboot.

I checked windows updates and there were no recent automatic updates other than Windows Defender signature updates. I checked Windows Defender and it did not take any actions against Acer Care Center. Again, this was all working up until today, Jan 01, 2023 and just stopped working on its own while I was using the laptop today. I ran updates inside Acer Care Center to make sure I am running the latest version and I am. V4.00.3042.0. I checked update history inside Acer Care Center and there is none. So this version did not change.

What finally seems to have resolved it for now was to let the battery run down to below 80% then plugging back in. Now to goes to 80% and stays there. It shouldn't have stopped working on it's own like that though.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

>>>It shouldn't have stopped working on it's own like that though.>>>

No it shouldn't. But bugs still happen. So next time just shut the laptop off. Unplug the charger. The gently press and hold a paperclip into the battery disconnect pinhole #3 shown below for about 30 seconds. Then plug the charger back in. And you should be good to go with limiting charge to 80% again. Better yet, just disable the limiter and let the battery charge to 100% as it was designed to do. Virtually no statistically significant evidence that the battery limiter does anything more than make the user feel better. 🙂

Jack E/NJ