Acer Aspire sw5-012 "No bootable device" how I can format my drive

masak1
masak1 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2022 in Switch Series

Hello,

I tried installing Fedora (Linux) on my switch 10 but I think I ended up corrupting the drive.

If I turn it on, nothing happens. If I press the power button for a minute and reset the bios settings then it lets me turn it on... But the result is "No bootable device". I tried unplugging/plugging the USB and no effect, I tried putting something else in the USB (Lubuntu, both 32 and 64 bit) and nothing.

Boot manager (f12) now doesnt show the option to boot from the HDD. It doesn't show up on the boot tab of the bios either. My usb is not recognized either.

I'm not sure how I can format my drive, it's soldered. I don't even know if that would work either.

I've been trying to find a solution for 2 days straight and can't get an answer. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Masak1.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

Answers

• NeoGeo
    NeoGeo Member Posts: 157 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Make a Windows bootable disk using the following link :

Your model needs the image to be in 32 Bit , if that doesn't work it's possible the drives gone bad.

• masak1

Hello, @NeoGeo.

It... actually boots! I'm prompted with the windows installation screen!

I REALLY want to use linux on this machine though. So ill give it a second try after installing windows again. Thanks a bunch 😄

Ill get back if anything happens,

masak1

• NeoGeo
    NeoGeo Member Posts: 157 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

No probs buddy, keep us updated and goodluck!

• masak1
    edited December 2022

Okay so... I wouldn't exactly say "it works"

It doesn't. After a while i realised that its really hard to re install windows. Maybe I was using 8.1 previously? Anyway. Every time I power on my computer it works for a few seconds and the input just doesn't work. Not even the power button, or volume, or any external device. The clock is ticking so the OS is running...

The only fix is a hard shut down and turning it on. It sometimes takes a few minutes to stop working, sometimes seconds. Less than 10 minutes though. It also fixes itself after around 30 minutes, just to go back to broken after about the same time span (1-5 mins).

Touchscreen doesn't work either... Which is stupid because it worked in the previous download and even on live version of linux. I thought it was the drivers but it doesn't even appear on the Device Manager. I don't have enough time on the laptop to troubleshoot that much so that is going to be a pain in the *****.

Overall awful experience. Which is weird because I also ran "sfc /scannow" to fix corrupted files so it should be totally fresh! Wasn't windows supposed to work out of the box?! Anyway, this is kind of off-topic, I will try to put another linux distro as soon as I can so if I absolutely must use windows then i'll make write a new post. If you know any quick fixes for this though lmk.

Thanks for the support,

masak1

PD: this laptop hates linux so much, tried like 4 distros and the one I don't like seems to boot up :sob:

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,665 Trailblazer

Make sure you are installing a 32bit Linux distro, not a 64bit.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.