Acer Extensa ext215-32 Black Screen When Lid is Closed?

FieryDragon47
FieryDragon47 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2022 in TravelMate and Extensa

So recently my brother got an Acer Extensa for christmas and after setting it up we decided to install the latest intel drivers as i do with all my laptops including my acer nitro 5 which i am typing on right now. the installation was smooth no problems until he went to play minecraft and shut his laptop becuase he was doing something and after coming back it would just black screen and so i just thought this must be a small bug as sometimes full screen games wont turn on after shutting the laptop so we force restarted it only to find the problem stil persisted where the laptop screen would stay completly black but you could hear things happening as if the laptop is still on. after this i tried resetting to factory setting/drivers as i didint have a restore point and the problem was still there. I then tried to reinstall drivers but there is no drivers on acer support for the extensa in fact its not even listed as a product unless searched directly through google. As of now ive uninstalled the intel drivers and it works but obviously i have no drivers now so im installoing windows updates and going from there.

Does anyone know what i should do?

Also sorruy for the essay i always get ahead of myself on these :)

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer
    edited December 2022

What is the exact Acer Extensa 15 model number EX215-xx, as you need to make sure that windows update, and all Intel graphics drivers are up to date (install the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant for that to happen) so that all appropriate Intel drivers are up to their latest versions. Old games can cause the symptoms that you are experiencing with these locks up and/or gets a blank/black screen, the solution is to do a power reset of the battery by pressing the power key or even do a hard reset by opening the back cover of the laptop up and disconnect the main battery and bios batteries and ram and leave them disconnected for a few minutes and reconnect everything to reset the laptop, as you don't need to do an OS reset as games do lock these laptops up and especially their super IO that is programed for startups and other critical functions of the laptop and certain games can be very buggy for any PC, try all the above as a new Acer Extensa 15 laptop should not have any problems and there is nothing wrong with this laptop, with the Acer Manuals & Drivers, its very strange that there is nothing on the Acer Extensa 15 laptops get into contact with Acer. and find out why.

• FieryDragon47
    FieryDragon47 Member Posts: 3 New User

Yeah so I've done all the above the reason I'm having this in the first place is because of Intel driver support assistant. After installing the app and my latest drivers the issue occurred and I've tried holding down on the battery reset button and I later figured out that the drivers on acers support page mustn't be in my region or something because I got someone on reddit to give me the direct link in their region and it gave my all the drivers any other ideas?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

Here is the link to the US drivers. How are the power options set for closing the lid? Do you have Fast Start enabled in Windows? Are you running Windows 10 or Windows 11? Is it updated to 22H2 or still on 21H2 or 22H1?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.