Acer Nitro an515-51 Laptop periodically registering wi-fi as having 'No internet access'

DoctorSnakeEater
DoctorSnakeEater Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited December 2022 in Windows 10

So my laptop's an Acer Nitro an515-51. I've had it for years now, and probably should replace it but you know, money. So I'm trying to preserve its life for as long as possible, but that has led to numerous problems.

Right now, the most frustrating one I just can't turn a blind eye to is an internet issue. For the past week, the laptop will just... randomly lose internet connection after maybe thirty minutes or less of being connected. It'll still be connected to my wi-fi (I use my phone as a mobile hotspot) but it'll just suddenly have no internet connection. And it will stay that way, no matter what, even though my phone is clearly still connected to the internet. Disconnecting from the hotspot does nothing, forgetting the network connection and then reconnecting does nothing. The only time it works again, is if I turn off the hotspot and then turn it back on.

I don't think its an issue with my phone, since literally nothing has changed on my phone. The hotspot settings have not been changed, outside of me trying to change its name and password to see if its just a glitch with that, but the issue persists. And my phone is still actually connected to the internet and actively using it when these weird issues occur. So I can only assume its the laptop. I've tried doing a network reset that Windows 10 provides, but nothing changed. I've tried diagnosing the issue with troubleshooter but naturally it doesn't pick up on any issues cuz troubleshooter is useless.

I've tried looking for a solution online but either my wording is off or google is stupid, because I can never find someone with this issue, and I don't even know how to search for this as a question. I don't even know where to ASK for help with such a thing, so this place is my best shot since I can only assume its an Acer issue.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• @DoctorSnakeEater

Try windows x

go to device manager

expand network adapter 

Right click on wifi adapter - uninstall

restart the computer.  

If it is still not working properly

Go to website - support.acer.com 

chose your country

type the snid or chose the model no

go to drivers 

Install the wireless driver

Before installing the wireless driver go to device manager - uninstall the wireless driver.  Without restarting the computer - try to install the wireless driver from acer support website. 

It should work fine

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer

Often that type of issue can be traced to something not being able to see the DNS servers or the wrong DNS configured. That can be malware, a VPN or an issue with your ISP. What does Windows say when you run the network troubleshooter?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DoctorSnakeEater

Tinkerer

It says nothing. The troubleshooter just says it can't identify the problem, which is no surprise because the troubleshooter never has done anything useful.

Attempting to uninstall the wireless driver doesn't do anything, neither does restarting. Anytime I uninstall it, it seems to just automatically reinstall it less than a second later.

• @DoctorSnakeEater

Try windows x

go to device manager

expand network adapter 

Right click on wifi adapter - update driver

chose the 2nd option - browse my computer

It will open a new window

chose the 2nd option - Let me pick

It will show a list of drivers

We are going to install one by one and check

chose the first driver - click on next

It will install the driver - click on close

Now try to use the computer and check

It should work fine

If it is still not working

Please do the same steps for 2nd driver on the list of multiple drivers.

Please do the same steps for each and every driver on the list

One of the driver will work fine.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• billsey

If you open an elevated command prompt you can use

ipconfig /all

to see what is configured for the network. Yours should either have your router's address set as the DNS server or the addresses of your ISP's DNS servers. In addition the default gateway should be your router's address, Here is what mine looks like right now, 10.7.7.254 is the router:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DoctorSnakeEater

Tinkerer

Tried both approaches, neither worked. Still getting the same issue.

I don't actually know what my router's/ISP's address or DNS is. I use my phone as a mobile hotspot since I don't have a modem, and this has never been an issue in the past, so I don't think its my phone that's at fault here, and if it was, I'd have even less clues on how to fix it.

• billsey

But if the numbers are sane we can remove the possibility of malware stepping on the network settings as the culprit.

• DoctorSnakeEater

Tinkerer

The numbers are not the same it seems. The DNS server shown for me after using ipconfig/all is completely different from the DNS server address listed on my phone in mobile network properties.

I also have VPN settings on with my laptop it seems, as part of Windows 10, with 'allow VPN over metered networks' and 'allow VPN while roaming' active. But I don't have any actual VPN server listed above those settings.

• billsey

Bring up properties on the network and look at the IPv4 and IPv6 settings. Are they set to automatic for DNS? If there is a static DNS entry change it to automatic and see if it helps. If it changes back to static then you likely have malware resetting things.

• DoctorSnakeEater

Tinkerer

edited January 2023

I'm assuming you mean go to wi-fi properties and look at the internet protocol version 4 and 6's properties. In which case, they're set to automatic for obtaining both IP address and DNS.

• billsey

Yes, that tells us it's not an issue with malware resetting the configuration to route all traffic through their own servers. Now, when in failure mode bring up a command prompt and use the command:

nslookup google.com

and see what it comes up with. Normally if you have both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled (and they are by default) you will get two addresses returned, a normal looking IPPv4 address like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and an IPv6 address like 2607:f8b0:4007:803::200e. You can also do a "tracert google.com" and it will go through a bunch of hops to get to the address returned in the nslookup.