Predator G3 605 Case Replacement the same case but with something completely different?

Fluke32
Fluke32 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited April 2023 in Predator Desktops

Has anyone replaced their case for a G3 605? Not with the same case but with something completely different? Im just wondering if its something that is worth the hassle or if I should just stop watching desk set up videos on youtube!!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

The G3-605 desktops mobo is a mATX type board and not an Acer proprietary mobo so you can use any mATX case that you desire, as there are hundreds of different types and for any budget, below I've included all the appropriate case connections for your information to connect this board appropriately, as its a very simple job. Btw, the PSU is also a standard type ATX PSU.

• Fluke32

Tinkerer

StevenGen thank you so much for this I really appreciate it.

Matt

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer

Not a problem glad to help you out, cheers and seasons greetings to you!😁

• Fluke32

Tinkerer

Good evening. I gave up on this as it looked way to technical at the time but after doing some research and trying to teach myself Im back at giving this a go.

I have found the case I want to use and it is a Montech Air 100 which comes with a number of fans built into it. Its the perfect size case for where I want it to go. The fans are all 3 pin dc. I have read that you can plug the 3 pins into 4 pins on the motherbaord.

My question is does it matter what 4 pin header you use. Can you just use any you find on the motherbaord? I know this is such a noob question but I would really like to replace the case on what is still in my mind a fantastic computer.

Any advice would be greatfully received.

Thank you

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,467 Trailblazer

In general no, 3 pin fans sometimes have pins that line up with four pin headers, but often not. You also will lose speed control or speed feedback with the fewer pins.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Fluke32

Tinkerer

Thanks Billsey for your reply.

I have ordered a new case so Im going to try this. It arrives tomorrow.

I have just looked and seen that the power supply to the motherboard is a 12 pin connection from the PSU. I have looked everywhere for a 12 pin to 12 pin extention cable but with no luck so it might all have to go back and I admit defeat!

Regards

Fluke