My Nitro An515-44 Win 11 Update 22h2 will not install and errors with 0x80070001?

vahawkeye
vahawkeye Member Posts: 3 New User

My Nitro An515-44 currently is running Win 11 update 21H2 which updated I updated without any errors/issues back in August. Since October the next major Win 11 update 22H2 has been available to my laptop. I have attempted dozens of time to install, troubleshoot, remove/disable 3rd party video and sound drivers, virus protection, unlinked connected drives/devices. I have literally several spent weeks on the Microsoft community attempting every fix suggested. Even attempted ISO clean install which gives me a different error and says it can't determine how much space I have. I have ran the troubleshooter and clear update logs, ran DISM processes, ran auto updater and the manual updater. Every time I attempt to install the 22H2 update download 100% and then goes to install and it fails at exactly 37% every time. Microsoft support has not address the issue although I see many other with exactly the same issue...Any suggestions. When I bought this machine it came with windows 10. I haven't attempted to roll it back to Windows 10 and then skip 21H2 and update directly to 22H2. Anyone else have this problem? I am open to any other suggestions??? I have posted my Win 11 version and the error that I receive when attempting to update to 22H2.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    edited December 2022
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

Can you bring up Disk Management and show us a screenshot of the drives?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • vahawkeye
    vahawkeye Member Posts: 3 New User

@billsey

here it is...

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Did you run SFC ?

From cmd.exe (run as admin) type SFC /scannow, press Enter . This will check for errors and try to repair any found.

• billsey

So your drive looks like it's setup correctly and has plenty of space for the update. The issue is likely that your disk 0 is setup as a dynamic disk, not a basic disk. Unfortunately converting from dynamic to basic isn't very ... basic. The typical method is to back the drive up fully, delete all partitions, convert to basic, rebuild partitions, then restore them. There are lossless method offered by several developers though, so try looking at those to see if you can find a robust, free one.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    edited December 2022

Backup all your personal files from the old Win-11 OS that you have installed, also make sure that you have the last BIOS version 1.04 installed (as that will also update the the feature of "Add for support 20H2 OS 2.Fix BT devices Recovery unstable issue section to your laptop") that this laptop needs for the version 22H2 to be installed and then do a Clean Install of Win-11 22H2, as your AN515=44 needs a clean install of Win-11, the version 22H2 should have installed perfectly as an update from Windows Update but with AMD chipsets there are problems and users are find it problematic with these laptops, especially if you did an update from Win-10 to Win-11.

The best solution is to completely delete the old Win-10 and 11 OS off the boot drive and do a fresh format before installing the latest the latest Win-11 22H2 OS build 22621.963 that is the latest, and then make sure that all windows updates are done and after looking into Device Manager and seeing if all drivers are installed and if you have any uninstalled drivers then getting those drivers from the Acer Drivers & Manuals from the AN515-44 page, also update to the latest integrated AMD graphics drivers and also the last dedicated NVidia graphics driver for this laptop instead of the Windows drivers or Acer provided driver, as there are newer drivers available. As doing all the above and following those steps, will make this laptop completely up to date and work 100% with Win-11 22H2 OS build 22621.963.

• billsey

The Dynamic disk thing is a known issue with the 22H2 update. I expect Microsoft will fix it eventually, but until then you have to be using a Basic disk, not Dynamic.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited December 2022

BTW make sure your license/machine is registered with Microsoft before doing anything. Makes recovery if things go wonkey much easier. Also create a Recovery Disk. Requires a 16GB flash or SD card.

I tend to keep a couple of spare 500GB SSDs (mostly Acer) and just throw OSs and apps around (they come with cloning software). When get bored often build another PC mostly mini Desktops with Micro-ATX boards for AM4 Ryzen 5s. Parts are remarkably cheap right now. Further my eyes prefer a 17.3" laptop. Have a couple of Acers. Had to buy a larger backpack.