Acer 8930g There does not appear to be any downloads available on Acer's website.

WILTO
WILTO Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2022 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks

I have an Acer 8930g, 2008. My issue is with the usb ports which no longer recognise anything that is plugged into them, can anyone help please. The notebook is in as new condition, I am running windows 10, updates are regularly installed. There does not appear to be any downloads available on Acer's website.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer

Have the ports ever worked since installing Win10?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer

Yes, that model series is old enough that drivers and such have been removed from the support sites. IIRC the USB ports on one side are soldered to the motherboard and the other side has a daughterboard with cable to the MB, so it's likely not a hardware issue since they are located on both sides, a zapped port on one side shouldn't affect the ports on the other side. Do the ports provide power on either side?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE

Have the ports ever worked since installing Win10?

Jack E/NJ

• WILTO
    WILTO Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello, the usb ports have worked with earlier versions of Windows 10, of that I'm sure, however, last night, I discovered that while the usb ports will not recognise a wireless mouse adaptor, they will recognise a usb storage device, which seems rather strange. I have installed a CSL usb 3 adapter into the express card slot, and tried that, the laptop doesn't recognise that either. I would like to get the laptop working properly again, but I realise this may not be possible, is there any way a usb hub could be used?

• JackE

>>>the usb ports have worked with earlier versions of Windows 10>>>

Open Control Pane. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. If System Protection is turned on in the box that pops up, click the System Restore button. Click next. Do you see an automatic restore point with a date/time stamp around the time the ports stopped working correctly?

Jack E/NJ