USB ports on Predator XB273U the 2 usb ports on the underside of the monitors are not working

RMichelsen
RMichelsen Member Posts: 2 New User
edited December 2022 in Predator Monitors

I have 2 XB273U's connected to an Apple laptop. Display functionality is working fine on both but the 2 usb ports on the underside of the monitors are not working. I have connected the USB 3.0 type B port on the underside of each monitor with a USB 3.0 Type A port on the laptop. The 2 USB ports on the left side of each monitor work fine...

Are the 2 ports on the underside "standard" USB ports or am I missing something...

TIA, R

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

I was just trying to read the diagram in the user manual and it looks like the text above those two ports just says something like 'header'. :) They should be just another two ports, like the two at the side. The only difference that I'm aware of is one at the side ports provides power off charging, so stays powered up even when the rest of the monitor is off. The two underneath should act just as any other USB.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓

I was just trying to read the diagram in the user manual and it looks like the text above those two ports just says something like 'header'. :) They should be just another two ports, like the two at the side. The only difference that I'm aware of is one at the side ports provides power off charging, so stays powered up even when the rest of the monitor is off. The two underneath should act just as any other USB.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer
    edited December 2022

This monitor has 3x downstream 3.0 USBs and 1x upstream 3.0 USBs, so you might be connecting things into the wrong USBs, this is a simple explanation of what these different USBs do, an upstream port is the one that connects to your computer, and the downstream ports are the ones into which you plug things like your keyboard, mouse, scanner, printer, etc. Therefore, think of the upstream port as the one that connects to your computer. Have a look at this guide here "What is USB upstream/downstream port on monitor ?" as it explains it very well and also read the manual of your monitor as these are all the details and installation details of your monitor:

These are this monitor's connectivity ports:

• RMichelsen
    RMichelsen Member Posts: 2 New User

StevenGen & billsey, Thanks for the responses! So, just to re-cap to make sure I caught the points -- the USB Type B is the upstream connection (per StevenGen) & the top port on the left of the monitor (per the manual page included by StevenGen, the 2 USB ports stacked vertically with the top port having some undeciperable label) provides power-off charging (per billsey).

In my case, the USB B connection is OK between the monitor & my laptop since I have a USB keyboard attached to one of the side USB ports that works. But, the keyboard does NOT function when attached to either of the USB ports on the underside...

Again, thanks for the responses!

• Try the ports below, as the HEADER ports will not work, I've got a mouse connected on a laptop that is the same as the USB that also can accommodate power (like its highlighted below) and it works perfectly as the other USB is a normal USB

• billsey

I still expect that the two ports marked "HEADER" should work as normal 3.0 ports, the one that might not support data is the top one on the side that's marked as offline charging.

• gcdump
    gcdump Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2023

I'm having the same problem. The USBs on the under side are not acting like regular data USBs, but the side ones are ok. The under side ones do give power though, but no data.

Again, the side ones are working as expected. Just the ones on the backside are not.