Disappointed with my new monitor :o( Acer VG280K monitor

JayVessey
JayVessey Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2022 in Monitors

Hi, I'm new here and I'm hoping someone can help me out with some wise words. 

In 2015 I bought a 24" Acer CB240HYK monitor for photo editing @ £250 and loved it.

It's in for repair at the moment because it stopped coming on (sometimes). I thought I'd buy another one and keep that one as a decent spare once repaired, so I bought a 28" Acer Nitro VG280K @ £370, i.e. £120 more.

So why am I disappointed? Well, for £120 more, I expected it to be a better monitor, but it's quite the opposite... 

1) It only tilts while the old CB240HYK went up and down and you could even turn it round to put it into portrait orientation instead of landscape. I can live with that and I knew about it before buying.

2) The viewing angle doesn't seem as good on this new monitor even though both monitors specify a 178/178 degree viewing angle. When I'm sat directly in front of it, the outer edges of the screen have already started to lose brightness and clarity because they're slightly further away from my eye than the centre of the screen. It appears like shadows on each side,

3) High resolution photo's and 4K video don't look as good/sharp as my older monitor. I wouldn't have thought that it would make that much of a visible difference to the naked eye, but could it be the slight increase in screen size from a 24" to a 28" lowering the PSI (pixels per square inch)?

And finally, a couple of questions...

1) Could I have it set up all wrong, i.e. is there any way to make improvements?

2) If I want the monitor to give me the most realistic picture with regards to brightness etc..., which is necessary for photo editing or my pictures won't come out in print like they appear on the screen, what setting should I use? Standard mode? 

I'd be really grateful for any thoughts on the above, so thank you in advance.

Jay. 

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JayVessey

Dear moderator. My post was about not being too happy with my new 28" Acer Nitro VG280K monitor. The 'Acer CB240HYK monitor' you've added to the title is my old one that is in for repair, the one that seemed better than my new one in spite of the extra £120 I paid for it on top of what I paid for the old one.

• JayVessey

Dear Moderator. Can you please amend the title of my original post because you've added the wrong product/monitor to it and that could prevent me getting the response I'm after with regards to the right product?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

I'll ask the moderators to fix it, that's just a bot that does the initial change, I believe.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.