Can I up-grade my all factory Aspire XC-605? Can I make it better in my theater room for streaming

Colezey
Colezey Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I keep getting a message to up-date my browser, and love my machine. Can I make it better in my theater room for streaming movies?

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,217 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon

If you get a message to update your browser, why don't you do it?

• Colezey

It's an oldie, but I love it. Can we make it better?

• Colezey

I've some stories about up-dates. Will I lose any info already installed on my HD?

• Colezey

Solid State HD and Windows 10 (any comments)

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

What browser are you using? You may have to use a newer one, since for instance IE is no longer supported.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer

Your XC-605 is an old, tired desktop which I'm sure you love😁 but and if you want Solid State HD and Windows 10 you need to either upgrade this desktop or buy a new one which I would advise for you to do! But if you want to upgrade do this:

1. Upgrade the existing i3-4130 CPU to the more powerful Core i7-4790 that will give your system a 95% Relative performance increase and a 90% of this new CPU compatibility, which is more than enough to upgrade your old CPU to this new i7-4790 to.
    2. Upgrade the Ram to a 16GB kit at 2x 8GB DDR3-1600 • CL=11 • NON-ECC • UDIMM • 240-pin • 1.35V • 2Rx8 • PC3-12800
    3. With a 20W PSU you are restricted to a GTX-1030 type GPU card for upgrading or you can upgrade the PSU to an Acer proprietary PSU that fits your case from other XC desktops of 220W or even 250W PSUs.

All the above upgrades will depend on and if you can get all the above components? As a used i7-4790 CPU is about USD $40.00, a used GTX-1030 is about USD $35 and the ram kit is 60.00 and the PSU is 25.00 and all this is a total of about USD $100.00 Plus, but and if you want a new GTX-1030 that you can still buy, it can be bought for USD $95.00 so the cost could be $60.00 more. Good luck and hope this helps you out and as I've said imo you be better off getting a new desktop PC as it will be way better than upgrading this desktop for Solid State HD and Windows 10 as with a new desktop you will have Win-11.