My son wants to install a low profile Graphics card in my XC 840, mini desktop. Should I let him?

Options
OneD
OneD Member Posts: 2 New User

My 13 y.o. desktop needs to be retired and recycled and I just bought my XC 840 desktop celeron N5105 and I'm very very happy with it - it's fast and quiet and I only use it for web browsing, e-mails, and internet banking. I don't play games except occasionally the solitaire.

My son wants to play some games and tells me to install a fanless Asus GeForce GT 730 2GB GDDR5 Low profile Graphics Card, a basic card that does not make noise or require a lot of wattage. Will this card work properly and not spoil my desktop?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

>>>Is it correct to say that my celeron n 5105 has an integrated graphics Intel UHD and no graphics card? I>>>So you think that the GT730 may not be much better than the Intel UHD?>>>

Yes & yes.

It's not a gaming machine. It's a fairly solid business-oriented machine that I prefer myself. But I don't play games. Not even solataire. Only paperback sudoku while on the can. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options

Any in the GT7xx low profile series should be fine. They're all about the same. The original factory spec used the 20watt GT720 add on card. The 25watt GT730 may be a bit faster but maybe not too much noticeably so especially with today's power-hungry games.

Jack E/NJ

• OneD
    OneD Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for your reply. Is it correct to say that my celeron n 5105 has an integrated graphics Intel UHD and no graphics card? I peaked into to case and I can see that there's an empty slot for a graphics card.

So you think that the GT730 may not be much better than the Intel UHD?

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

>>>Is it correct to say that my celeron n 5105 has an integrated graphics Intel UHD and no graphics card? I>>>So you think that the GT730 may not be much better than the Intel UHD?>>>

Yes & yes.

It's not a gaming machine. It's a fairly solid business-oriented machine that I prefer myself. But I don't play games. Not even solataire. Only paperback sudoku while on the can. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• franksidebottom
    franksidebottom Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Sorry to dig up an older thread, but can you tell me if a low profile single slot GeForce GT 1030 will be compatible with the Aspire XC-840? I believe they are 30W.

If so, would a higher wattage power adaptor be required?

• JackE
    Options

Us erbenchm ark dot com claims the 1030 is compatible. So it should work. But not 100% guaranteed if that's what you're looking for.

Jack E/NJ

• franksidebottom
    Options

Thanks for your reply and the info, do you know if I would need to get a better PSU? The one that comes with the XC-840 is 65w.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

You need the 90W adapter to run a GPU.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Options

do you know if I would need to get a better PSU?

Best to use the optional 90watt unit. Google search the part no. for vendors who ship to your location.

Jack E/NJ

• franksidebottom
    Options

Thank you for the info, I did manage to pick up a 3rd party RDY 90W charger from Battery Empire for about 11 GBP including overnight shipping. Where did you find this spreadsheet info?

• franksidebottom
    Options

Thanks for confirming, I did go ahead and order a Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2 GB GDDR5 (waiting for it to arrive), it was one of the few 30W single slot GPUs I could find.

My XC-840 does not come with an Optical Drive, nor the required cable for configuring one, but considering getting hold of one. Am I right in thinking I would need the 6 pin to SATA power cable 50.E1ZD1.002?

For those that come with an Optical Drive presumably they came with the 90W power supply, can the higher PSU accommodate both the GPU and optical drive? (not that they would necessarily be in use at the same time?)

Even without the upgrades I think this is a very impressive machine for the price I paid new (160 GBP) with the keyboard and mouse set.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, the 90W adapter provides enough power for both the GPU and the ODD. For the ODD you will likely want more than just the cable though:

You will only need one of the SATA data cables, not both.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.