DVD reader not working Acer Aspire TC-1760 UA92

mikejw
mikejw Member Posts: 46 Troubleshooter
edited December 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I just bought an Acer Aspire TC-1760 UA92 desktop. It had Windows 11 on it, but I went back to Windows 10. Everything seems to work OK except the 8X DVD reader. When I insert a disc I can hear it spinning, but it does not read the disc. The DVD reader DOES show up in Device Manager, so I had it check for updates, no updates. The DVD reader does NOT show up in File Manager. Once in a blue moon, if you wait about 10 minutes, it MIGHT show up. At that point I can click on it, and it will then play the music DVD. I talked to an ACER tech. support guy. He told me the DVD reader is too NEW for those discs. I tried at least six, and none of them play. But they all play in my other computer. I think he was full of *****. I checked the acer support page, there are NO drivers for the DVD reader. Suggestions, please. Mike

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,430 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon

Maybe this will help ?

Have you attempted to show the hidden device in Windows 10? At times, Windows 10 update will do a reset, and restore some settings to an earlier state. As soon as your disc is not showing up as normal, try at first to unhide CD/DVD device. Navigate to This PC -> Manage -> Device Manager -> View -> Show hidden devices.Nov 18, 2022

Reinstall or Update Driver in Device Manager

Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the optical drive listed, then click Uninstall. Exit Device Manager then restart your computer. Windows 10 will detect the drive then reinstall it. You can also use the option to Update Driver Software from within Device Manager.Jan 8, 2019

• mikejw

Hi Larryodie. Thanks for the reply. The DVD reader DOES show up in Device manager. When I opened up Device manager, I did choose the DVD reader, and then checked for updates. It said the best drivers are already installed.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,430 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon

My bad, BUT try the HIDDEN VIEW on File Manager, either way. I would un-install then reboot and let Window's Plug and Play find it and re-install. Good Luck

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

It sounds like the drive is flaky. It's possible there's only some contaminant blocking the laser inside, but I'd start a ticket with Acer support and have them fix it. If it were a software issue it wouldn't work at all, not sort of work sometimes.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mikejw

Hi billsey, thank you for the reply. I have contacted Amazon, and Acer. Amazon sent me a return label.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

Yes, if you are early enough then a vendor swap is the fastest fix.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.