FPS Problems 20-25 Fps in every game in predator PH315-53

Options
Dartagnav
Dartagnav Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2022 in Predator Laptops

After playing any game for aproximately half an hour with easily more than 60fps good temperatures and not overly loaded components with my predator helios 300 with an rtx2070 and an i5 10th gen. i suddenly get awful fps in the 20s for some reason pressing the "turbo" button which overclocks the gpu and maxes out the fans the fps get better for a minute or so. but the strange thing is even when the turbo butten was pressed recently and i try turning it off again it suddenly fixes the issue and my game gets back to smooth 70-90fps again but this results in me pressing the button ever 5 minutes. understandbly thats not a lot of fun.

things i did/tried:

Graphics driver update: newest from 1.of dec (fixed it for 1 or 2 rounds of my games but then the problem came back

Win. update (win11)

checked temps and usage of cpu gpu

factory reset of my whole pc

uninstalling most of my games every drive has half a terrabyte of space left

16gb of are never used fully

changed power plan

nvidia control panel set priority to performance

tried not touching the turbo button for a longer period of time still the fps stayed bad for hours

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Options

This is normal under heavy load when battery must occasionally help charger adapter meet high CPU/GPU power demands. During these times battery is actually draining even though plugged in.

Once battery drains below about 50% level, charging the battery takes precedent over CPU/GPU power demands. Then stuttering starts and FPS/game performance drops. Time to stop playing to allow the battery to re-charge to 100%. Gaming can then continue until battery again drops below 50%,

This is why battery should be 100% charged and plugged in BEFORE starting heavy loads for maximum play time. If you don't stop gaming and fully charge the battery when it drains below 50%, it'll just keep oscillating every few minutes between high FPS and low FPS as battery charges just above and just below the 50% level.

Jack E/NJ

• Dartagnav
    Options

Unfortunately that is not the problem with my fps i use a programm to keep an eye on my battery life and percentage an my battery never lost even 5 percent charge

but thank you for your answer and your help

• JackE
    Options

>>>After playing any game for aproximately half an hour with easily more than 60fps good temperatures>>>

>>>pressing the button ever 5 minutes.>>>

>>>checked temps and usage of cpu gpu>>>>

Sorry, then this suggests that the temps are NOT good at exactly the moment when this starts to happen. GPU temps should be consistently below about 85*C and CPU below 90*C or performance and FPS can automatically drop. Continuing to overclock will send temps higher and max out the fans. This risks damaging the processors if repeatedly done too many times.

When was the last time the fans, thermal module, ducts and heat sinks were cleaned and re-pasted? This should be done annually for heavily gamed machines and should be considered normal maintenance.

Jack E/NJ

• Dartagnav
    Options

thank you,

i ocassionally clean my laptop from dust but i didnt have it for more than a year so i dont think i have to repaste yet. my temps never exceed 65-75C degrees so i think i dont get thermal throttleling. I only use the overclock when my fps seem to drop in demanding situations like once a session maybe but this recent problem has made me press this overclock button more often. I think the problem may be my nvidia drivers because of the reinstall fixes it for a few minutes. maybe its a compatibility problem...

• JackE
    Options

>>>I think the problem may be my nvidia drivers>>>

What is your full helios 300 model number? For example, PH315-55?

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options

Your model does not yet have Win11 OEM driver updates available at this link. We users on this forum can't tell you if/when they will be available. So like the rest of us users, you must keep checking every week or so to see if they appear.

Meanwhile, I suggest that you download and install Driver Booster freeware to see if it can pick up any better drivers then the generic updates that you've apparently tried to use with Win11. Generic updates often are not fully compatible with proprietary mainboards.

Jack E/NJ