Predator Orion 3000 PO3-640 - Idling at high CPU temp 70+Degrees

Delita89
Delita89 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

So i recently bought the Predator Orion 3000 PO3-640 and beforehand i read reviews that it runs a bit hot, but nothing could have prepared me for what i saw when looking at the predator sense data.

As you can see from the 3 attached files, it's idling with a CPU temp of about 70 degree's if i lower the fan speeds from maximum it actually goes up to about 90 degrees.

Im not sure if this is just normal for PCs these days (my last PC was before RTX was a thing and idled at about 40 degrees) but im pretty certain i shouldnt need to have the fans on full when the PC has literally just booted and has done no "work"

Any thoughts/ Advice on next steps would be appreciated.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

My laptop tends to run at that range without much load, but your system should be cooler unless there's a lot going on in the background. What's the CPU usage look like when you are seeing those numbers? Do you have something like an antivirus running background scans at the same time? They can bump the 'idle' numbers up a bunch. Let it go for a few hours and recheck to see if they are still up. 70s are normal when you are running a load, but not heavy gaming. Sitting fully idle should be more in the 40-50 range, full blown gaming more in the 80-90 range. If it's truely at idle and at 70 then likely they didn't get a good even paste between the heatsink and CPU. Depending on how long you have had the unit you might just swap it out with your vendor for a replacement, open a ticker with Acer support for a repair, or open it up and do the repaste (and maybe a fan upgrade at the same time) yourself.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Whizbang
    Whizbang Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

The first thing you should do is check Task Manager to see what is using all of those CPU resources at idle. I just caught mine running at 57c while sitting there doing nothing. I checked and found the Acer Care center was using from 8 to 25% of my CPU and it seemed determined to run forever. I checked task scheduler and the only thing it is supposed to be doing is checking for updates every hour or so, so it shouldn't be using 8 to 25% for any great length of time. And this program is a known resource waster. I just uninstalled care center and am running at 35c to 40c idle. I may try a clean install of the latest care center from the site. Check and look for ACCSTD.exe sucking up CPU resources. You may have the same problem.