Correct voltage, amperage and wattage for fast-charging an Acer Switch One 10 SW1-011.?

Options
Alan1963
Alan1963 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2022 in Tablets

Hi all,

My Acer Switch One 10 (SNID: XXXX) came without the original round-pin charger. Twice, I have ordered chargers that were supposedly for my model, but on both occasions, the round-pin plug was too fat to go onto the socket on the tablet. I searched the ACER accessories site for the correct charger but nothing came up.

I have tried charging the tablet via the mini-USB port, but it is extremely slow. If I buy a USB charger with a higher wattage than what a PC or laptop USB slot can output, will this enable me to fast-charge the device safely? Someone suggested I use a wall-plug USB adaper that outputs 15W and 3A. Is this good advice? Thank you!

[Edited the thread to add model name and to hide sensitive information]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options

That's because the adapters depend on the region or country where you bought the laptop if you have the SW1-011 model series, Try google searching the part nos. shown below for vendors who ship to your location. Due to explosion and fire hazard, the battery pack should not be fast charged.

Jack E/NJ

• Alan1963
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thanks for the reply, JackE, but this UK adapter (part number 25.LCTN5.004) seems impossible to find and it seems to have been discontinued. Can the tablet be charged via USB, at a similar speed via USB, given the correct amperage/wattage? If so, what is a suitable amperage/wattage for doing this? Merely using a USB cable from one of my desktop PC's USB ports takes forever.

• Alan1963
    edited November 2022
    Options

PS... Yes my tablet is a SW1-011.

PPS... I'm puzzled because the UK adapter 25.LCTN5.004 in the list you posted is described as "2PIN". The UK uses 3-pin wall plugs! In any case it seems impossible to source. Can the tablet be charged at a similar speed via USB, given the correct amperage/wattage? If so, what is a suitable amperage/wattage for doing this? When using a USB cable from one of my desktop PC's USB ports, it takes forever.

• JackE
    Options

The adapters are usually double insulated. Only two blades for AC hot & return like most AC wall warts. No separate ground blade.

The voltage is 5volts maximum and 3 Amps maximum for 15 watts. You risk fire or explosion trying to push higher voltage and amps.

You can however use another adapter if the plug fit and dc polarity is the same. But it still should not exceed 5 volts and 3amps output.

This budget machine does NOT support USB power delivery for charging the laptop. So, yes, it should take forever if that's what you tried to do. The ports themselves don't support anywhere near 3 amps going in either direction.

Sorry

Jack E/NJ

• Alan1963
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thanks for the info, JackE. Unfortunately, I've never known any kind of 2-pin wall plug that'll go into a UK wall socket. The thrid (earth) pin is needed to unlock the other two holes. Do you happen to know the polarity of the charging socket on the SW1-011?

I will try to find another charger that has the correct voltage, amperage and plug. What happens if I plug one in and it's the wrong polarity? Will it damage the tablet? Or will it simply not work?

• JackE
    edited November 2022
    Options

Center pinhole on the plug is positive, barrel negative.

You can use a US-2-UK AC adapter like shown below with an ACER US charger since they accept 100-240 VAC input. I have an adapter without the ground blade from a few years back. Only the two UK hot & return AC pins and no ground blade. And only the two US hot & return slots and no ground hole. So you must be pretty young if you've never known one without the separate ground blade. 🙂

There are also adapters for EU-2-UK if that's all you can find.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

pin thing I believe is only talking about the wiring at the power supply itself, and not the plug that goes into your wall. That is a three prong plug in the UK.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Alan1963
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thanks for the replies. I would still like to know the polarity of the tiny barrel-type charging socket on the Acer Switch One 10 (SW1-011).

Is the center pin positive or negative? And, if I use a charger with the correct power but incorrect polarity, will it damage the tablet?

• JackE
    Options

As mentioned earlier, center pinhole on the plug is positive(+), barrel negative(-). Wrong polarity might damage the tablet. Use the right polarity.

Jack E/NJ

• Alan1963
    Options

Apologies; I missed your earlier mention of this. Thanks again for your kind help.