Acer aspire TC-780 Desktop Which ssd cards are compatible with this motherboard?

seaboss
seaboss Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I have an acer aspire desktop, TC-780, intel i5. I think it is a 7 series. The motherboard is a DBB8911001, (I think). I also think my 250gb ssd operating system drive has failed. I know the serial number for my desktop. My question is, Which ssd cards are compatible with this motherboard? Can I use any ssd card that fits or is there a list of suitable ssd cards somewhere on the internet? Thank in advance for any info.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• @seaboss

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below. The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below. There is an option to "start your scan " and " select your computer " . Please chose the options and try it. It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide. We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options. You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.      

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

If you are not able to boot up the computer or load windows on your current computer, kindly go to crucial website on a different computer , try to enter the model no TC-780 and gather the details.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• seaboss

Tinkerer

Thank you WILLIAM - MRK for such a speedy reply. My Acer TC-780 is now replaced by a pc that works and now resides on top of a wardrobe. I will try the Crucial website as you kindly suggest. If I am able to sort out the problem I will thank you again.

• seaboss

Tinkerer

Please excuse my bad grammar. It's the acer on the wardrobe, not my new PC.

• Can you test the ssd on another computer? This model only accepts ssd m2 2280 sata 3: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-TC-780/37161

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,557 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Be sure that yours will fit, they shown sockets slots configuration.

• seaboss

Tinkerer

Thank you egydiocoelho and Larryodie. Larryodie, I have ordered an external caddy to test my ssd. I'll let you all know how I get on. Thank you once again

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,261 Trailblazer

The SSD in your Aspire TC-780 is a SATA drive in the M.2 form factor. The motherboard supports only SATA in that slot, not NVMe like the newer models do. The slot is #9 in this motherboard layout:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • seaboss

Tinkerer

Thank you all for your help. It looks as if my thoughts that the ssd had failed were entirely wrong. I bought an ssd, M.2, sata, drive container from amazon for about £12.50 and I was able to access all the files on the drive that I thought was faulty. I also scanned the drive and there were no reported errors. I know the other drive on the acer aspire tc-780, (1tb, HDD) is okay because I have been transferring files from it to my new PC. (and in any case, the Windows 11 operating system was on the ssd). The symptoms of failure of the Acer were, if I remember correctly, it started refusing updates, then some programs became so slow that they were unusable, then within a day or so, the acer refused to boot up. I'm going to have to look somewhere else for the fault. Luckily, I'm not desperate to fix it. I will probably watch the world cup and try again after Xmas. Thanks to all.

• Larryodie

Recreate WIndows 11 via an USB drive or do an F10 and load the factory software, providing that you haven't reformatted.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

• seaboss

Tinkerer

I put the two drives back into the Acer tower, connected up and switched on. To my complete surprise, up came windows 10. It was the windows 10 of about three or four years ago (I recognised the unusual wallpaper). It took about an hour to update the system and all went well. When the computer refused to boot, about a month ago, I was running windows 11 and had been for a couple of years. At that time, (a month ago) I had tried everything I could to find the cause of the problem, without success. Now, looking back, I suppose I must have triggered a saved image of the acer from when it was fairly new. Luckily, the Documents folder contained everything I had ever put on there, right up to the time it refused to boot, Now I have my Acer back and I will use it as a spare and upgrade it if needed. Thanks for all your help everyone. As it turned out, the best advice was to get a container for the SSD so that I could check it's status.

• Larryodie
    edited November 2022

Maybe you did the ALT+ F10 ?

The Acer restore key is Alt + F10. These keys are used to restore system to factory defaults if the system failure due to virus/hacker/malware attacks, software errors, wrong operations, hardware corruption, etc.

• seaboss

Tinkerer

Yes, although I did not press ALT + F10 conciously because at that time (a month ago), I did not know about it. That is presumably what must have happened in some round about way. Unfortunately, the reversion to windows 10 did not show up on my screen (nothing showed up on my screen, otherwise I would not have had to buy a new PC). It seems to me that Microsoft do not give any sensible instructions or even warnings that this sort of thing was about to happen. If I had known that my Acer was lying on top of a wardrobe just waiting to be switched on, obviously I would not have bought a new PC. Thanks anyway, Larryodie.