How do I fix the BSOD error "Critical Process Died" Acer G9-591-70VM?

Antsmasher
Antsmasher Member Posts: 41 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited November 2022 in Predator Laptops

My laptop has been crashing on start-up on a weekly basis but runs fine after it reboots itself.

I have done the following in attempt to fix the issue:

1.    ran check disk process

2.    ran SFC scan

3.    used the paid version of Driver Easy to update all drivers, except for Realtek High Definition Audio because the updated version was causing my laptop to crash.

4.    disabled fast start-up

5.    made sure the laptop is not overclocked

6.    made sure Windows is fully updated

However, the problem still persists.

There were a few times when the crash does happen and it shows a black screen asking for a boot disc to be inserted. I had to do a hard reset in order for it to boot normally.

Normally, it's hard to capture what the stop code says because it just flashes for a brief moment, but today I was able to record the BSOD happening and thus, captured the stop code: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED.

I checked the reliability history and it says that parameter services have stopped working.

"Faulting Application Path:   C:\Windows\System32\IntelSSTAPO\ParameterService\ParameterService.exe"

When it does work, the laptop can still play intense games like Deep Rock Galactic.

Here is my Acer laptop model number: G9-591-70VM

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Fix Error 0xEF: Critical_process_died

This error means that there was a hardware malfunction or a device driver issue. The following are some things to try:

If you've installed any new apps or devices, uninstall or unplug them and then restart your PC.

Make sure your PC has the latest updates. Select the Start button, then in the search box next to Start, type Windows update and choose Check for updates from the list of results. In the Settings menu, select the Check for updates button. When it's finished, restart your PC by selecting the Start button > Power > Restart.

Then "Check for updates now" on your system.

• Antsmasher

@SteveGen

I ended up doing a clean install of my laptop. Now I have to see if the BSOD will still happen.

However, I know have a new problem. The speakers on my laptop are not working, but my headphones are.

I tried a lot things to resolve audio issue including:

1. Rolling back to a restore point
    2. uninstalling High Definition Audio Device Driver
    3. Checking is the speakers are the default sound device in sound settings
    4. Disabling enhancements
    5. Trying all default formats for the speaker
    6. Making sure the speakers are not muted in volume mixer

However, none of these work.

• Antsmasher

I managed to resolve the audio issue by going to Acer's Support page and downloading the audio driver.

But I'll have to see if doing a clean install will resolve the BSOD issue.

• Ragnar30
    Ragnar30 Member Posts: 2 New User

what do you mean by clean install ?

do you still get BSOD??