Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-572 - Upgrading RAM to 24GB. Need advice in making it to work.

Options
MEEDO
MEEDO Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2022 in Predator Laptops

Hello everyone, I need your help in choosing a ram for my predator helios 300 g3-572.

the installed or the used RAM now is 8GB DDR4-2666(1333MHz). I want to upgrade the ram, so I am confused about choosing 8GB or 16 GB besides the installed 8GB.

So if I buy 16GB ram, both the old and the new one will be 24GB.

and if I choose 8GB both will be 16GB.

the thing is that I don't wanna lose the old one or throw it away, but at the same time I need to upgrade it to more than 16GB(for heavy engineering design programs).

is it fine to have 24GB ram even if the sluts are (8GB+16GB) DDR4-2666?

also if the 16GB is DDR4-3200, will that affect the system or it's just a waste of speed?

or I will have an issue With the laptop?

thank you.

[Edited the thread to update model name in title & issue in detail]

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

If you want more than 16GB, you can use a 16GB 2666MHz module to upgrade, if you install 3200MHz module, the system will downclock it to slower module(2666Mhz), so it's pointless.

• KanagawaTomasu
    KanagawaTomasu Member Posts: 152 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options

If you upgrade with an 8 GB Dimm, then you will have the benefit of "Dual Channel" RAM. (The two RAM dimms must match in size and rating.)

If you upgrade with a 16 GB Dimm, you will have the advantage of 24 GB or RAM, but NOT the dual channel function.

I upgraded my Acer Predator Laptop from two 8 GB Dimms to two 16 GB Dimms. CPU-Z shows that my laptop now has Dual Channel RAM and the larger amount of RAM.

Stick with the same DDR4-2666 which ever you decide.

Cheers!