I have Acer desktop with MB H11H4-AD2. Can I upgrade it's CPU i5-6400 to i7-8700?

ilovechocolate123
ilovechocolate123 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Hi,

I bought an acer destop pc long ago which got motherboard Acer  H11H4-AD2. I'm wondering if i can upgrade my cpu which is i5-6400 to an intel i7-8700.

Will it be possible?

Thanks!

[Edited thread to update issue in detail]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

No, the i5-6400/35W TDP can only be upgraded to a better performing 6th Gen cpu like the Core i7-6700/65W TPD (that will increase the relative performance to a margin of 60% over the OEM i5-6400 cpu) and is what Acer fits to the upper spec desktop, if you want to go more extreme then you can go for the top 6th Gen socket 1151/i7 cpu the Core i7-6700K that will give you an increase performance of 75% but it will run much hotter as its TPD is 91W which is 2.5% higher than the OEM cpu and you will need a top cpu cooler. The 8th Gen cpus are not compatible with your mobo the Acer H11H4-AD2. Of course, the cpu is not the only factor of a desktop upgrade as better ram and an ssd and a gpu card will improve your desktops performance if upgraded competitively

Acer H11H4-AD2.Specifications:

• CPU type: Intel
    • Interface: LGA1151
    • Chipset: Z97
    • Motherboard structure: M-ATX
    • Whether to support display output: Support
    • Display interface: VGA+DVI
    • Multi-graphics card support: Not supported
    • Memory type: DDR4
    • Memory channel: dual channel
    • Maximum memory capacity: 16G
    • Whether to support disk array: Support
    • interface Type: USB 3.0 SATA3 PCI-E 3.0

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

No, the i5-6400/35W TDP can only be upgraded to a better performing 6th Gen cpu like the Core i7-6700/65W TPD (that will increase the relative performance to a margin of 60% over the OEM i5-6400 cpu) and is what Acer fits to the upper spec desktop, if you want to go more extreme then you can go for the top 6th Gen socket 1151/i7 cpu the Core i7-6700K that will give you an increase performance of 75% but it will run much hotter as its TPD is 91W which is 2.5% higher than the OEM cpu and you will need a top cpu cooler. The 8th Gen cpus are not compatible with your mobo the Acer H11H4-AD2. Of course, the cpu is not the only factor of a desktop upgrade as better ram and an ssd and a gpu card will improve your desktops performance if upgraded competitively

Acer H11H4-AD2.Specifications:

• CPU type: Intel
    • Interface: LGA1151
    • Chipset: Z97
    • Motherboard structure: M-ATX
    • Whether to support display output: Support
    • Display interface: VGA+DVI
    • Multi-graphics card support: Not supported
    • Memory type: DDR4
    • Memory channel: dual channel
    • Maximum memory capacity: 16G
    • Whether to support disk array: Support