Helios 500 i7-8750h pch temperature 105 celsius shut down What can I do?

Options
ChrisZO
ChrisZO Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2022 in Predator Laptops

I have a Helios 500 for about 4 years and it performs very strange very often. It can shut down on its own or usb ports are disconnecting keyboard, mouse, flash drives, hard drives. I sent it once to acer in Poland but they claim everything is ok. I myself found some information about the PCH temperature. When I play games the temperature reaches 105 degrees Celsius and the laptop shuts down. The PCH is also responsible for connectivity, usb ports etc. Am I right? What can I do? Should the Acer support in Poland do something when they had it? Repair? Exchange?

I add some photos with temperatures before shut downs.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,580 Trailblazer
    Options

Too hot!!! To avoid permanent damage, stop heavy load gaming until you can arrange to have the fans, thermal modules & cpu/gpu heatsinks cleaned and repasted as soon as possible. This should be considered regular annual maintenance for machines used for heavy load games. Any competent laptop repair shop should be able to do this for you at reasonable costs.

Jack E/NJ

• ChrisZO

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks for your comment. I know the heatsinks/fans must be cleaned regularly but I think there is one more issue with this laptop model. I saw on the net a few pictures where it is open/disassembled and there you can see that the PCH chipset has no cooling, no heatsing. Some people even add themselves a small heatsink. I don't want to open it myself. One more thing. Is it possible that high temperature of the PCH can disconnect USB devices? I use a lot two external 3.5 HDDs, mouse, keyboard at the same time. Whem they are attached the temperature gets higher. Also wifi icreases the temperature more than a ethernet cable.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,991 Trailblazer
    edited November 2022
    Options

You are overloading this laptop far too much with and as you say "I use two external 3.5 HDDs, mouse, keyboard at the same time" as all this does increase the functionality of your laptop and at the same time increases your temperature, as you have so many things connected to your laptop.

Try to keep it simple, just have an external mouse connected or whatever gaming control you want and don't have so may things connected to your laptop at the same time, remember that your Helios 500 laptop is a gaming laptop and NOT a gaming desktop, which can be upgraded with better coolers, fans like a gaming desktop, so irrespective of its gaming hardware your laptop is restricted to how much heat it can dissipate and that is why it overheats to 105c temps.

What I would do is keep it to its minimum and make sure that all fans work 100% and they are repasted with a top cpu/gpu paste like the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme (or if you really know what you are doing?) as a liquid metal paste needs expertise to apply then use the Conductonaut liquid metal thermal compound, as this compound is the best for gaming and does reduce temps much more than a normal high end paste! But and be warned, as and if you apply to much of this paste to your cpu/gpu this compound leaks and will destroy your mobos circuitries as this compound is conductive, so be very careful!

Btw, I'm playing WRC 6 FIA World Rally Championship with the Fanatec GT DD Pro steering wheel setup on my AN515-56 i7-11800H with the RTX-3050 and it works perfectly and never ever overheats and plays perfectly but, I don't have anything else connected to this laptop only the steering control and I've repasted the cpu/gpu with the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme.

• JackE
    Options

>>>two external 3.5 HDDs,>>>

How are these two 3.5" HDDs powered?

Jack E/NJ

• ChrisZO

Tinkerer

Options

The 2 HDDs have their own power adapters. They are 3.5 Seagate External Drives.

• JackE
    Options

>>>I use a lot two external 3.5 HDDs, mouse, keyboard at the same time. Whem they are attached the temperature gets higher.>>>

What is temperature with nothing attached to any of the ports? No mouse dongle, No external HDDs. No external monitors. No ethernet cable. No printer. Nothing

Jack E/NJ

• ChrisZO

Tinkerer

Options

One more thing. This is very common. Even today. USB keyboards lights are blinking while I am copying files to or from usb flash drives or HDDs and I cannot write properly or use a mouse. The mouse freezes from time to time. Writing looks like this: I want - "Good morning," I get - "Goooooooood moing" This happens with every keyboard and mouse, every usb port or usb hub.

• ChrisZO

Tinkerer

Options

Hi. I understand you but I do not agree. Helios has three usb 3.0 ports and two usb-c ports. Why can't I use them? Acer gives 5 ports and I want to use at least two or three of them at the same time. As I know the PCH has no cooler and for me this is a mistake and fans at 100% are very loud. They cool down the CPU and GPU and have no connection with the PCH.

• JackE
    Options

>>>When I play games the temperature reaches 105 degrees Celsius and the laptop shuts down>>>

The external devices seem fine. They don't seem to be causing the issue. Accordingly, I suspect N ort on. Other users have reported that overheating disappears after uninstalling, not just disabling, 3rd party scanner. Most users only need Windows Defender and Malicious Software Removal Tool, both of which are updated regularly. 3rd party scanners can play havoc with high power demand gaming while connected. Too many heat-induced shutdowns risks frying the CPU/GPU & chipset. Try to avoid them.

Jack E/NJ

• ChrisZO

Tinkerer

Options

Hi. Thanks. Removing Nor t on helped a bit. Before I had 91-99 Celsius and now 82-87 (with usb keyboard and mouse gaming). Although there is one more thing. I don't understand why my usb keyboard lights are blinking while I am copying some file to a usb flash drive or usb hdd or between them. I cannot write while it is happening. I try to write a text file or in a browser and I want - "Good Morning" but I get something like - "Gooooooddd Moing" It happens with all usb keyboards. Can you help?

• JackE
    Options

Anything below 90*C under load is fine for the CPU and PCH. GPU should stay below 86*C.

Your description of keyboard behavior while transferring files seems like normal USB bus bandwidth and power limitations. Not much can be done about it except to use the built-in keyboard/trackpad which doesn't depend on the USB bus.

Jack E/NJ

• ChrisZO

Tinkerer

Options

Ok. I played for a while and now I see:

CPU max: 62 C for me OK,

GPU max: 60 C for me OK,

PCH max: 97 C terrible.

I played with a USB keyboard and mouse and an monitor (display port).

• JackE
    Options

Try raising the laptop about an inch above a hard surface to promote better air flow in and out of the case. I raise mine with a wire grilling rack from a toaster oven that makes it run about 5*C cooler. Don't use a cooling pad since they can actually reduce air flow by blocking air exiting from the exhaust vents.

Jack E/NJ

• ChrisZO

Tinkerer

Options

I use this always:

Cooler Master NotePal U3 Plus Notebook Cooling Pad 19-inch

• JackE
    Options

Try raising the laptop about a inch. No pad.

Jack E/NJ