Gamma changes refresh rate from 75hz to 60hz It appears with HDMI not in display port Acer V227Q

Options
Cguitar
Cguitar Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2022 in Monitors

Been using an Acer V227Q for two years now. One odd quirk of it is the gamma levels (and color accuracy) changes when I switch the refresh rate from 75hz to 60hz. It appears to only happen with an HDMI connection, not DisplayPort.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this happens? A firmware bug maybe?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,586 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>A firmware bug maybe?>>>

Probably not. A lot of factors involved including what kind of device is driving it. HDMI is more of a general purpose A/V standard. DP is more of PC standard. Acer usually only warrants correct HDMI operation at 60Hz & lower refresh rates unless otherwise stated. Very often a specific PC model must be matched with a specific monitor model at certain refresh rates & resolutions. What brand/model number PC is driving your V227Q?

Jack E/NJ

• Cguitar
    Cguitar Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

My PC is a DIY. The motherboard is an MSI MPG Z490m Gaming Edge Wifi and the video card I'm running the HDMI cable from is an MSI 3060 ti Ventus.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,586 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>Anyone have any ideas as to why this happens?>>>>>>PC is a DIY>>>

Sorry. Too many variables, esp in a DIYer, to pin it down. Other than to say, as implied earlier, that DP setups tend to play nicer with PCs than HDMI setups. Not always but mostly. There may be exceptions when pairing your DIYer with another DP/HDMI combo model but likely only found by trial & error. That's pretty much how Acer seems to do it when citing exceptions to its warranted 60Hz or lower HDMI specs. Monitors with virtually identical specs but from different mfrs behave differently when operating outside of Acer's warranted 60Hz or lower spec. No Acer explanations. Just this is how it is.

Jack E/NJ