Helios 300 - Reinstalling Windows after installing Linux

Options
RafaMtF
RafaMtF Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2022 in Predator Laptops

I bought my Helios 300 in September of this year and last week I wanted to try using Linux on it. It didn't work properly because of the dedicated graphics so I wanted to reinstall Windows on it, but, when I try to use the usb stick I created (I tried using Rufus and the Windows Installation Tool) it either doesn't show up, or it doesn't recognize any of the disks. Can someone please help me with this issue, because I am really needing to use my notebook.

[Edited thread to add model name]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

You need to download and install the Intel IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver for your Helios 300 specific laptop model. Download this driver on another USB and when you get to the Win-11 22H2 version (as that is what you should be installing and not Win-10) then at the windows installation section after the format of the boot drive and at "install a driver" click that and install the USB with the IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) driver as that will allow you to continue the installation.

This is how you do a successful Clean Install of Win-11 22H2 and then make sure that windows update is up to date, NVidia driver is updated to the last driver for your gpu and also install Intel® Driver & Support Assistant and run this software's scan to get all Intel driver up to date. All this will make your install successful.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,556 Trailblazer
    Options

Does this mean you chose not to use the option to install Linux alongside Windows? Meaning, did you let Linux use the whole boot drive?

Jack E/NJ

• RafaMtF
    Options

Yes, I installed Linux on the old Windows drive.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

You need to download and install the Intel IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver for your Helios 300 specific laptop model. Download this driver on another USB and when you get to the Win-11 22H2 version (as that is what you should be installing and not Win-10) then at the windows installation section after the format of the boot drive and at "install a driver" click that and install the USB with the IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) driver as that will allow you to continue the installation.

This is how you do a successful Clean Install of Win-11 22H2 and then make sure that windows update is up to date, NVidia driver is updated to the last driver for your gpu and also install Intel® Driver & Support Assistant and run this software's scan to get all Intel driver up to date. All this will make your install successful.

• JackE
    Options

>>>Yes, I installed Linux on the old Windows drive.>>>

What do you mean by old Windows drive? I thought you just got this in Sept?

Jack E/NJ

• RafaMtF
    Options

By "old windows drive" I meant the one that came with Windows preinstalled.

• JackE
    Options

OK. My question still is, did you allow the Linux installation to wipe & use the entire drive? Because if you did, the hidden Acer OEM Windows recovery partition and all its Acer OEM drivers have likely been erased. Did you make any changes to the BIOS in order to install Linux?

Jack E/NJ

• RafaMtF
    Options

Yes, the Linux install used the whole drive, the problem was that none of the disks were appearing on the Windows installer. I just had to use the IRST for all of them to appear.

• JackE
    Options

No, not the Windows installer. I'm referring to the Linux installer? In other words, did you originally make any changes to the BIOS with the Linux installer?

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

I think colleague jacke wants to know if you disabled vmd controller or changed sata mode to ahci, when you ran linux installation.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)