MONITOR\ACR06C1 144 hz monitor stuck at 60 fps

Options
stan1199
stan1199 Member Posts: 5 New User

My monitor is stuck at 60 fps. I saw in device manager as well but it only has 59.95 and 60 hz option and no 144 hz option. How can I enable 144 hz on my monitor?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,586 Trailblazer
    Options

What PC brand and model do you have. Many PCs are limited to 60Hz or less from the HDMI port. The monitor can operate at 144Hz but only if the PC video output port signal is also 144Hz.

Jack E/NJ

• stan1199
    Options

I am using acer predator helios 300 with core i9 12 th gen and with RTX 3060 graphics card. The laptop itself has a 165 Hz display so it should be able to output 144 Hz . https://amzn.eu/d/3CQ8EGX The product page on amazon says it has capacity to output 165 Hz at 4k.

Plug all your peripherals into the full range of ports, including HDMI 2.1, MiniDP, and a full range of USB 3.2 Gen1 and 2 support. The Thunderbolt 4 also supports DisplayPort functionality and Power Delivery3 while the latest HDMI 2.1 specification allows you use an external display such as 4K at 165Hz.

• JackE
    Options

>>>The product page on amazon says it has capacity to output 165 Hz at 4k.>>>

Yes, but there's often a caveat that the 120Hz, 144Hz or 165Hz capability only applies to certain monitor models, What is the full helios 300 model number? For example, PH315-57?

Jack E/NJ

• stan1199
    Options

It is PH315-55

• JackE
    Options

The HDMI caveat(s) shown below. The miniDP (v1.4) & TBT4 (HDMIv2.1, DPv1.4) ports might offer better rates but they weren't listed.

Those below are the external HDMI connected monitors that were tested for this series specsheet. There may others but not tested. The XV272U wasn't listed. Acer usually only warrants external HDMI 60Hz unless otherwise stated. Other than what might be possible with the miniDP & TBT4 ports, the 165Hz capabilility seems to be applicable to the internal screen. In fact, one internal QHD screen seems capable of 240Hz.

Sorry that the specs aren't more specific on the miniDP & TBT4 capabilities which means you'll probably have to experiment unless someone here chimes in who has the same or similar setup to yours..

Jack E/NJ

• stan1199
    Options

Thanks for the detailed info!

Can you please share the link to the page where you found this info?

So you mean to say that if the external HDMI port of my laptop does not support 60 hz, the monitor's fps counter would also show only 60Hz because the monitor would be set to 60 Hz only. It won't set to 144 Hz if the port of laptop does not support 144 hz. Shouldn't this be unrelated? Also this would have to do with the laptop port only and not the HDMI cable that I am using to connect laptop to the monitor right?

I also have another laptop HP pavilion gaming laptop15-cx0xxx for which also the monitor sets to 60 hz. Can we check whether 144 hz is supported in that laptop as well?

• JackE
    Options

The pages aren't downloadable. Just the image files here.

Yes the cable should be v2+ compatible. Your helios 300 HDMI output port should be144Hz-capable. . But apparently not with all 144Hz-capable monitors. It likely depends on the success or failure of handshaking or negotiating higher resolutions & refresh rates than default between the two HDMI i/o ports. The default HDMI rate seems to be 60Hz for most resolutions for both PCs and monitors if the communications between the two ports can't agree on a higher rate.

Not sure about the HP's HDMI port. If it's v2+ it might drive the XV272U at 144Hz if its handshaking is better than the Helios

Jack E/NJ

• stan1199
    Options

then what steps do you suggest i should take now to use 144 hz on my monitor with my helios laptop?

• JackE
    Options

Try using either the miniDP port or TBT4 port. They're likely make better use of its GPU capabilities than the straight HDMI connection.

Jack E/NJ