I have a new Nitro 5 AN515-46. Can i upgrade the HDD?

ghugh
ghugh Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited September 8 in Nitro Gaming

Hello everyone!

I have a new Nitro 5 AN515-46. I was really surprised when I took off the bottom cover: my notebbok hasn't connector for hdd (red zone on a picture). But you can see a mark "JHDD1". I have seen many videos and articles about AN515-46 and it seems that other Nitro 5 in videos have connector for hdd, but mine hasn't.. (connector in any video on youtube)

I want to add connector by myself in service center, but I don't know, would it work or not. Could be problems with bios or system and motherboard at all?

Thanks for any ideas!

[Edited the content to add topic issue]

Best Answer

• ghugh

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Answer from the Acer Support:

"Unfortunately, not only is there no connector on the board, but there is also no SATA line; it is not possible to connect an HDD to this model."

So, if you want buy a Nitro 5 2022 and have or install hdd inside you should choose Intel-based notebook. Really, dissapointing news...

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer

Hi,

This is a very recent model and I couldn't find the Service manual, however, none of the few got this model hasn't installed a HDD, so I think it's better if you can upgrade the M.2 SSD to alrger SSD, like 1TB M.2 SSD or something similar.

Acer Nitro AN515-46 Performance Results - UserBenchmark

• ghugh

Tinkerer

brummyfan2, thank you very much! Yes, I'm looking for an additional nvme ssd, as you said, cause this model has two m2 slots. But I want add hdd too... So, there is a question about possibility to add a connector to the motherboard.

• ghugh

Tinkerer

Based on videos from Thai youtube chanels it looks like AMD-based model couldn't be upgraded with additional hdd, but Intel-based model could, they have hdd basket and connector on motherboard... Very strange. I didn’t think that there could be such nuances due to the processor manufacturer.

• ghugh

Tinkerer

Yes, I see that my model isn't ready to connect a hdd.

But I still hope that I can add connector and hdd will work properly) So, if anyone knows if it's possible to make my idea to real, please, write here!

• brummyfan2

Yes, leave the thread open and be patient, someone else will come up with a suggestion.

• ghugh

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Answer from the Acer Support:

"Unfortunately, not only is there no connector on the board, but there is also no SATA line; it is not possible to connect an HDD to this model."

So, if you want buy a Nitro 5 2022 and have or install hdd inside you should choose Intel-based notebook. Really, dissapointing news...

• Maybe there is a sku variant with and without the hard drive connector. These settings also vary depending on the region in which the computer is sold. In the service tab, it shows that this model has a connector for the hard drive:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Knetten
    Knetten Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Off topic guys and Girls! But how fast ddr5 ram can i use on An515-46? And i have only two m.2 slot and none hhd connector. Is both m.2 slot pci express 4? The fastest m.2 I have is sn850 1tb and a 512 gb that was in the machine when buying. Should I put the fastest m.2 in slot orginal? Hope somebody can help me

• brummyfan2

Hi,

You can use WD SN 850 in slot1 and use the slower SSD in the second slot because slot 1 is for Gen 4 SSD and the second slot is for Gen 3 SSD, as for the memory, you can use a DDR5 4800MHz module in your laptop but avoid any RAM with XMP profile because there's no settings available to enable XMP in the laptop.

• duende
    duende Member Posts: 1 New User

@ghugh what became of this in the end? did you solder a connector onto the motherboard and saw that it all went well? And if you didn't, do you guys think that we could use the empty space in there for something else? like a bigger battery perhaps?

• ghugh

Tinkerer

Finally, I bought a 2TB external hdd))

It's a really strange decision by Acer engineers not to use so much empty space in the laptop case…

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,397 Trailblazer

The Acer Nitro AN515-46 laptop model doesn't have provisions for a SATA 3 - 2.5" HDD or SSD drive, the below are the laptops storage specs from its service manual specs which show that the AN515-46 and AN515-47 laptops have a Gen 4 x4 lane M.2 boot drive and a Gen 3 x4 lane slave drive. Good luck and hope this additional information helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍