Program ClearPwd.exe to clear CMOS on Aspire One 725

gjon
gjon Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited October 2022 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks

Hi.

Where can I get program ClearPwd.exe to clear BIOS' superuser password on mu old Aspire One 725 netbook? Please, help.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer

Sorry. Posts that aid in bypassing security features aren't allowed on these forums. This includes removal or bypass of passwords on hard disk, BIOS or TPMs or using activation keys or other unlicensed software.

Jack E/NJ

• gjon

Tinkerer

edited October 2022

HDD in my netbook has been damaged. I'm replacing it with a new one (SSD), but I'm having trouble installing the system (boot to installation media on USB). I can't remember the password and have blocked access to BIOS for myself. I found a description of the procedure with ClearPwd.exe in the original Acer's manual. 

• JackE

>>>I'm having trouble installing the system (boot to installation media on USB)>>>

1. What operating system are you trying to install?
    2. How did you prepare the USB installation stick?
    3. Can you boot to a menu from the USB installation stick?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer

You may not need to enter the BIOS if the F12 boot menu is already enabled. Your system is old enough that utilities like that might not be published. Do you have Windows 7 or Windows 8 installed?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE

>>>I'm having trouble installing the system (boot to installation media on USB)>>>

1. What operating system are you trying to install?
    2. How did you prepare the USB installation stick?
    3. Can you boot to a menu from the USB installation stick?

Jack E/NJ

• gjon

Tinkerer

I want to install Win7 64b. The BIOS is in UEFI mode and accepts a flash drive only in UEFI mode (does not see others). I even prepared Win7 installer as UEFI version (works on other computer), but when I try boot from it I have information that there is a problem with security.

My main idea and task - switch in BIOS UEFI mode to Legacy MBR and disable Security. But I can't because of forgotten password.

PS I was able to download ClearPwd.exe on some page, but I can't get it to work. It only works in 32-bit mode (recommended boot with DOS), but system in that mode doesn't work on this netbook (I tried to install Win10 32-bit form flash drive and an BSOD error appears; it works with no problems on Win10 64-bit installer).

• JackE

>>>But I can't because of forgotten password.>>>

Click this link. Choose your country, Click support link near top of country page. Scroll down and try to find an authorized Acer laptop service or repair center to clear the chip. Cost varies. Either that or try harder to remember or install Win10. Sorry.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey

Make sure your W7 install image is sp1, they didn't support an UEFI boot prior to the release of that service pack.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • gjon

Tinkerer

I think my main problem with use ClearPwd on my netbook is BIOS in UEFI mode doesn't support 32-bit system and I will not install (or run) it, but is indispensable to use ClearPwd. Unfortunately, I can't get around it.

PS I would add that there is no dedicated pins on motherboard to clear CMOS and even removing the battery for a few hours does not help.

• JackE

Simply install Win10. It can be set up with almost the same look feel & function of Win7. The mainboard's embedded Windows OEM license should support USB installation using Microsoft's USB media creation tool.

Jack E/NJ

• gjon

Tinkerer

I had Win10 installed, but it runs very slowly - even with an SSD (it installs without any problems). I wanted to try it with Win7, hoping it would run at least a little faster.

• JackE

>>>I had Win10 installed, but it runs very slowly>>>

1. 32- or 64-bit?
    2. Is a 4GB sodimm installed?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey

Yes, it looks like various SKUs in that model came with 1GB, 2GB or 4GB of memory, either 1333 or 1600 MHz. If you are running Windows 10 (what I suggest) you really want 4GB and a SSD. It shouldn't be too slow....

• JackE

>>>I had Win10 installed, but it runs very slowly>>>

1. 32- or 64-bit?
    2. Is a 4GB sodimm installed?

Jack E/NJ

• gjon

Tinkerer

• JackE

>>>>I'm replacing it with a new one (SSD),>>>it works with no problems on Win10 64-bit>>>I had Win10 installed, but it runs very slowly>>>

If it was mine, I'd probably install Win10 and/or Mint20 on the SSD. Should be noticeably faster than the old HDD.

Jack E/NJ

• gjon

Tinkerer

"You have to remove the C2032 CMOS battery. That MIGHT work"

Unfortunately, I tried to do this, but disconnecting the battery overnight did not change anything - after connecting it in the morning there was still a password on the BIOS. I also read about the same test result from another user on the Internet, but I wanted to check it myself - and I confirm.