V5-121 can I revert to windows after chrome os install?

Jmill8
Jmill8 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Purchased on eBay, untested. Laptop works ok but somewhere along the line, Chrome OS was installed in place of Windows 7. Without spending more money, is there a method to go back to the original? Sidenote: kinda savvy with phones/tablets. Not so much w/ computers/laptops

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,848 Trailblazer

Yes but only if the hidden factory reset partition is still accessble.. Otherwise you'll have to install the generic Microsoft Win7 or Win10 versions. Follow this procedure and report back. We'll proceed from there.

1. Shut machine off. Turn it back on again and immediately tap F2 to enter BIOS menu.
    2. In the BIOS MAIN tab, make sure the F12 and D2D options are both enabled.
    3. Then post phone photos of the BIOS INFORMATION & BOOT tabs if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• Jmill8

Tinkerer

edited October 2022

Thank you very much for the response, JackE.

Here are the requested photos. Let me know if they are too blurry.

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]

• Jmill8

Tinkerer

edited October 2022

Thank you very much for responding! I'm probably going about this the wrong way. Please forgive me, I'm not used to this 😬🤷🏼‍♂️. I've attached the photos you requested. Please let me know if you need clearer ones

• JackE

>>>Without spending more money, is there a method to go back to the original?>>>>>>Here are the requested photos.>>>

The sandisk sdsa6gm-016g-1006 msata SSD is likely not the original factory boot drive. And at only 16GB capacity, is way too small for a practical Win7 install.

So do you have any 2.5" SATA2 or SATA3 HDDs or SSDs laying around with at least 40GB capacity for a practical Win7 installation? If not, brand new 1TB WesternDigital Blue series HDDs are now about $40 from Amazon. They should easily handle the job.

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,305 Trailblazer
    edited October 2022

I advise first installing a 2.5" sata 3 512gb ssd and then installing windows:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Jmill8

Tinkerer

Ok, on eBay I'm seeing 2.5" sata3 internal SSD (ranging from 128GB to 1TB) for under $25, AND have Windows pre-installed. Are these legit?

• JackE

The Windows license is embedded on your machine's mainboard, not the disk anymore. You must install Windows on any new drive because the installation itself is specific to your V5-121, not somebody else's laptop. So buying a used drive is a big gamble plus pre-i nstallled Windows from another laptop won't do you any good. It won't work properly or won't work at all. You'll be wasting your hard earned $25. Get a new drive. They're cheap.

Jack E/NJ

• Jmill8

Tinkerer

edited October 2022

That's exactly what I didn't want to hear. [Content removed].. In all honesty, with the age it has, I can't see putting any more money into it. It's just the value isn't there. And I don't think I'll be able to sell it now that someone turned it into a Chromebook. Heavy sigh. Well, thanks again JackE. I really do appreciate the time you've taken to help me.