Acer SA100 960 GB SSD - Not Available Under Boot Options

Options
bethac
bethac Member Posts: 3 New User

After watching endless youtube troubleshooting videos, I've landed here. Any help is much appreciated! Bought a SSD for my Acer Predator G3-710, and cannot get it to boot from the SSD. I was able to successfully clone the SSD, but it will not show up under Boot Options or under my list of available drives. This is my first time ever doing this, so sorry for any stupid questions in advance.

SSD: Acer SA100 960GB SATA2.5"

Cloning software: Acronis True Image OEM

I can see it under SATA Port 2 (not 100% sure what that means):

Boot Options (I've tried selecting both Windows Boot Manager to see if that made a difference):

Device Specs:

Answers

• bethac
    Options

Sorry also wanted to add I can see the SSD under Disk Management:

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

You have it right, there are now two entries for Windows Boot Manager, showing that both drives are being seen as bootable. You don't use that section of the BIOS to actually boot though, for that you use the boot menu. You might have to enable it in the BIOS though, it's usually disabled by default. Once it's enabled an F12 during POST should give you the list of bootable drives and you can choose the SSD. Once you have booted from the SSD you can wipe and repartition the old drive for data use. It will remember your last boot choice for additional boots. BTW, the reason the new drive isn't showing up in File Manager is the two cloned drives are being seen as identical to the OS, so it doesn't mount the second.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bethac
    edited October 2022
    Options

Thank you billsey! At least I know I'm along the right path...ish lol. I'm not seeing the SSD from the Boot Menu however:

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

I'm thinking it's the drive IDs being identical... Try pulling the 256GB M.2 drive out to see if it'll boot from the SATA SSD in that environment.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.