I'm having major issues with the Context menu I have updated all drivers, win11 - Aspire TC-1660

sl2365
sl2365 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I'm having major issues with the context menu on this system. I don't know if it's due to a Windows update or not, but it happened around a month ago.

I have updated all drivers and Win11 is up to date. No AV installed, using Windows own. But did install AVGfree to scan for viruses, nothing detected.

Ok, so, my problem...

1. I use XYplorer as my file manager and when L-clicking it's toolbar icons, nothing appears or they are cropped halfway. They are also not conforming to the dark theme of my system settings, which they used to do.
  2. R-clicking file items in XYplorer also have a similar lack of dark theme applied. and have borders around every item.
  3. Foobar2000 won't show anything when you R-click anywhere or when you L-click the Menu bar, no drop down menu appears..
  4. Rainmeter skins show their context menus but are SUPER LARGE!
  5. Q-Dir works but shows context menus without dark theme.
  6. Honeyview doesn't show any context menus or drop down menus.
  7. Nirsoft utilities show the context menu same as shown in XYplorer.
  8. many other apps have similar problems to this.

This is making my system unusable and it's still under guarantee!

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this, if possible?

Thanks

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

It looks like XYplorer isn't correctly handling font size changes. What scaling are you using for the desktop? Try setting it to 100% then retest.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • sl2365
    sl2365 Member Posts: 3 New User

I haven't changed the Scaling, it is still at the default of 100%.

The bottom screenshot is from Rainmeters context menu and very occasionally shows up 'correctly', if you can call it that. It shows similar to the second screenshot. As does the Toolbar drop down menu in XYplorer in the first screenshot. It is rare, but these two do sometimes appear properly 'scaled' if that is the correct term.

Clearly this is a system issue as it is affecting many apps and not just one or two. It's either M$ screwing up their updates or Acer's poor software and hardware. I had a previous Acer PC die due to M$ updates damaging the the hardware!!!

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited October 2022

HOLD the SHIFT KEY while restarting.

Go to the advance where you can un-install updates, restore to an earlier point , ETC.

Or do a reset but you'll have to re-install APP and but an option to keep your data files.

• sl23650
    sl23650 Member Posts: 2 New User

What is it with this site? I just sorted out the issue with my PC and came back to let others know in case they had similar problems. But... I can't even login??? I was constantly asked for my username, ya know, the same one I used to post this thread with... Only to be told to get my own name!!! F**king Acer are a waste of space! Last time I buy one of their PC's!!!

Anyway, for those in need of a solution, unlikely, but possible, just create a new Admin User Account then delete the old one. Make sure you backup any personal files before deleting the old account though, or you'll lose it all!

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

I'm glad to see that you fixed it.

Did you notice that your user name has an extra "0" ?

• sl23650
    sl23650 Member Posts: 2 New User

Cos Acer's site is so useless, I couldn't login, so I had to create a new account!!!