N4640g bios setting for usb power does not work

Jon_Doe
Jon_Doe Member Posts: 12 New User
edited October 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I bought some usb3 sata adapter to plug a laptop hdd into the N4640g.

The weird thing is the external drive spins even if the unit is shut down.

The usb mouse also keeps blinking while the unit is shutdown.

There is an option in the bios for usb charge but it does nothing.

All other power related settings have no effect.

I'm using the external drive as additional storage and it does not help it's lifetime if it permanently spins.

And plugging / unplugging it eavh time is not a solution.

[Edited the title to add model name ]

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

There is a lots on information if you google " disable external hard drive in stand-by"

Like this.

Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode

1. In Device Manager, expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers".
    2. Right click on "USB Mass Storage Device" and click on Properties.
    3. Under the Power Management tab, uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

• Jon_Doe

I'm talking about shut down, not sleep.

The pc is shut down.

There is no operating system active.

In this state, the 5V supply to the usb ports can be on or off, depending on the bios setting.

Some pc's don't offer this option.

The N4640g has it but it does nothing, there's permanently 5V on all usb ports, therefore any device connected to them will be powered, regardless if the pc is on, off, stby, etc.

• Can you tell which bios version is installed and check this setting in quick access?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Jon_Doe

The bios is R02-B1.

Quick access app has only the "blu light" option for this model

• Have you already disabled this option?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Jon_Doe

I set it to disable but the hdd keeps spinning.

• Can you tell us the model of usb adapter you bought?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer