PT515-51 LCD replacement troubles (weird scan lines)

Options
s1ms
s1ms Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2022 in Predator Laptops

Hi all. I have a weird issue with my LCD. I see weird scan lines and it is very visible on blue colour. I have bought 3 different replacement LCD screens that are supposedly compatible with the PT515-51 and i was able to connect them and get a flawless image, but the problem was the positioning of the connector. It is too far from the edge which makes the lcd cable too short. I've attached two images showing where the connector should be i.e. 101mm from the edge. THe other 3 LCD screens had the connector at 107mm from the edge.

The screen on the top was the original screen. Can you please either help me source a longer (40pin) lcd cable or the correct LCD screen.

THe model number of the LCD screens matches except for the version. I've not yet tried a version 3.1 :) but that will be a 4th screen.

Thanks!!!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,564 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>Can you please either help me source a longer (40pin) lcd cable or the correct LCD screen.>>>

Yes, looks like two different cables work for this machine depending on which screen-type AUO or BOE you have now The cable part nos and screens are shown below. If you have the BOE, then you'd need the BOE cable.

Jack E/NJ

• s1ms
    edited October 2022
    Options

Good morning Jack. Thank you for getting back to me! The cable that I currently have is a 40 pin BOE 450.0GY07.0011 and as of today I've tried 4 different screens and all of them had connectors too far from the cable.

The BOE cable that you have mentioned has a 30 pin connector and the BOE screen is 40 pins. Surely they won't work together.

I'd love to get access to a parts catalogue and unravel the mystery of my laptop. By the way it's model is PT515-51-71RT.

• JackE
    Options

>>>Surely they won't work together.>>>

Not so sure. The PT515-51 series specsheet indicates 30-pins are used for both AUO & BOE screens despite each having 40 pin ports. So the 10 extra pins are simply not used. But the larger 40-pin ports on the AUO & BOE screens should also support the smaller 30-pin cable. Conversely, if the screens had the smaller 30-pin port, the larger 40-pin cable probably wouldn't fit.

So I think the specsheet 30-pin BOE cable part no. ending in 003 is probably the correct length for your 40 pin port BOE screen since the screen part no. matches the specsheet. nv156fhm-n4. You'd only lose about $20usd on the 30 pin cable if it didn't work in the 40 pin port and the vendor didn't accept returns. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• s1ms
    Options

Cale ordered. It'll be interesting to see if it works :) I'll post an update as soon as I have any results.

• JackE
    Options

Good luck. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• s1ms
    Options

Update: the cable bor the BOE screen is identical to mine. I'll keep it as it has new stickers. The screen that has arrived has the same exact problem yet again. The connector is too far for the cable to reach. This is now my 5th different lcd screen. I have no idea where or how to get a screen that is correct for my laptop.