Predator Helios 300 PH315-52-78VL keyboard problem

Options
SeanChevalier
SeanChevalier Member Posts: 4 New User

I've been using a Predator Helios 300, PH315-52-78VL for a couple years no with no major problems. Last week several of the keys stopped responding (Backspace, backslash, enter, semicolon, and right arrow) and I've been trying to get them to work since. Things I've attempted with no results: removing the individual keys and checking for issues (no issue, but I did break the hinge on the right-arrow -.-), updating the keyboard drivers (no update found), updating the firmware (first to 1.06, then to 1.12, no change), removing the back of the laptop and checking the connection (keyboard cable was seated fine, just in case I unplugged it from the board and reinserted it firmly, also unplugged and replugged the battery cable in the process), doing a hard power reset (holding down power button for twenty seconds, then restarting the computer), and plugging in an external keyboard (external keyboard worked fine). None of these attempts have changed anything, the same keys aren't working now as before. Are there any other steps I can attempt before trying to replace the keyboard outright? I'd rather not have to try that because doing so would involve completely disassembling the interior of the laptop to access the keyboard (not a fan of that design) and the odds of me breaking something even more important are reasonably high.

Cheers,

Sean

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,747 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

I can't think of any other possibility. The fastest and most practical way is to use an external usb keyboard. It is very likely that the keyboard is shorted.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Have you checked if with an external usb keyboard, the same keys have problems? This video shows how to change the keyboard:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • SeanChevalier
    Options

Yes, I tried plugging in a USB keyboard and every key on the external keyboard worked correctly.

I'd rather avoid replacing the keyboard if at all possible, I'm very leery about potentially breaking my $1000 laptop while disassembling it as I won't be able to replace it for a while. If I have to I will, but I'd like to eliminate every other possibility first.

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,747 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

I can't think of any other possibility. The fastest and most practical way is to use an external usb keyboard. It is very likely that the keyboard is shorted.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• SeanChevalier
    Options

*****, that's unfortunate. Thanks for the assistance, the video on replacing the keyboard will certainly be helpful. Maybe I won't even break it even worse while fixing it.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Do you know if this problem also occurs in safe mode?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• SeanChevalier
    Options

I did not try it, but the problem also seems to have just now spontaneously resolved itself. I guess something is a little loose but its worked itself back into place? I would've thought that it would've started working one of the several times I adjusted the keyboard cable if that were the case. Thank you for the assistance, I'll keep that video bookmarked if the problem becomes a recurring one.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

I'm not sure. But it could have just been bad contact.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer