Laptop N16Q1Won’t Charge! Whats wrong and any advice?

baozaboy
baozaboy Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
edited April 2023 in TravelMate and Extensa

Hi, I have used accidentally my ebike charger which is 36v 2a charger (42v2a) instead of my original laptop charger (19v3.42A) charger

so basically the laptop is still working fine , it can switch on and do wtv uw on it and battery working normally ( draining slowly 😭😭)

but when i try to charge it with the original charger , it wont charge as there is no orange light charging status on the laptop neither on screen notification thingy

The original acer charger , I have tested with a voltmeter and there is voltage (19v) with current

I have also checked my Charger Driver / Battery Driver on PC and inspected the Internal Charging port and everything is seems normal.

Whats wrong and any advice?

I suspect probably the BMS of the battery is spoiled or smt

Or maybe theres a fuse inside the laptop?

or the capacitor is blown

[Edited the title to add model name ]

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Hi! What is the exact model? Example AN515-55-58VH. About this problem, I would check the CI CHARGER!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

A Google search seems to suggest the N16Q1 is actually a TravelMate P249-G2-M. That model has the power jack on the left side, and it's connected to the motherboard via a cable with the jack held in place using the hinge on that side. It's possible you have fried that cable, but much more likely the issue is on the motherboard since under 100W of power is not likely to have harmed the wires. The laptop is several years old (6th generation Intel, they are on 13th gen now) and likely not worth repairing. :(

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • The problem is that he connected a 42v adapter. The output is measured in direct voltage or direct current (dc). It is greater than twice the 19v value of the original adapter.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey

Exactly. The high voltage is more likely to have harmed chips and other components on the motherboard than the wiring between the jack and the motherboard.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • baozaboy
  • baozaboy

soooo is there any solution to it?

• baozaboy

hmm i understand but its great to keep one spare laptop just incase haha

• baozaboy

do you still need it or nah

• billsey

Likely more than the laptop is worth. You will probably have to replace the motherboard to repair it.

• baozaboy

do you think the cost of the repair will decrease over the time?
    like maybe 3 year later , i bring to shop for repair will be cheaper than now?

• billsey

Not really, though over time you might be able to find a used one that you could pull the motherboard out of. Eventually they will get old enough that used ones will be hard to find though. At 6-7 years old I would think that replacement parts are as low as they will go.