P03-630 & ThrottleStop Program CPU PERFORMANCE FYI

Options
sfanucchi88
sfanucchi88 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited October 2022 in Predator Desktops

Hi all, so since I got my system (i7-11700 with 3070) I have noticed that my CPU performance is well under what it should be (cinebench, userbenchmark, etc). What I noticed was the CPU frequency would drop from 4700mhz down to 2800ish when under any kind of load or game after 20 seconds or so. I first thought it was the cooler so I upgraded to the Noctua but still the same thing. After a bunch of research I learned that the voltage was my limitation and that most pre-builds lock motherboard settings so you cant change them. The TPL1 and TPL2 limits are locked from factory (TPL stands for Turbo Power Limit). They lock the TPL1 which is the long power limit at 65w and the TPL2 which is the short term boost limit at 154w. From what I have been reading the i7-11700 CPU can handle a lot more than 65w if cooled properly. ThrottleStop allows you to change these settings and man did it make a world of difference, I'm now running at 4400mhz + all cores for as long as I'm under load. CPU is slightly warmer around 79-81c under synthetic load with the odd 89c max(this is with the fans on auto, I'm sure I could cool it down more with a higher fan speed). All benchmarks now show the system is performing as it should for the specs.

I am now running TPL1 at 125w and I left TPL2 at the pre set 154w. From what I've read 125w on TPL1 seems to be the sweet spot for the CPU however the ThrottleStop program allows you to play around and test it out. You can also set a task in Task Scheduler in Windows 10 or 11 to auto start this program so the settings apply as soon as you log in.

Before Settings:

New Settings: