Gateway SX2800-07 Memory upgrade not working, wondering if BIOS may need updated?

Options
IAvsCA
IAvsCA Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello, My father has a 12 year old Gateway SX2800-07 that runs great for what he uses it for. The fan in his PS went out, so I replaced it for him, and while doing so, I saw he has two DIMM slots open.

Given the limited spec info I could find online and the labels on the existing DIMMs, I ordered a set of two more 4GB DIMMs. As soon as I power it on, the system gives an ongoing error sounding tone. I presume it doesn't like the new DIMMs, but as far as I can tell they're well within spec. I've looked for a BIOS update that may be available, but I'm not finding that either.

Existing BIOS: AMI P01-B1 11/12/2009

I bought DDR3-1333 DIMMs, but I noticed the label on the existing DIMMs are GDDR3. Do I have to have GDDR? The specs I found online only refer to DDR.

Am I missing something?

TIA,

Mark

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

No, normal DDR3 modules are correct, but I believe that model maxes out using four 2GB module and doesn't support 4GB modules.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.