Can I use Intel Optane H10 memory/1TB SSD with my Acer Aspire XC-885?

PVGraham
PVGraham Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi,

The BIOS detected the 1TB SSD component of the H10 module, and I have installed Windows 11 successfully, but the Optane part isn't detected in the BIOS or Device Manager. In the Intel Optane Memory & Storage Management software, I get the error "There are no valid disk pairs in your system" in the Intel Optane Memory tab.

I've kept the original HDD, but have cleared all bar the System Reserved space on it (I wasn't able to delete this partition)

I've updated the BIOS to R01-C3 and have left 50MB unallocated space at the end of both drives, but the install software (admittedly for Win10) doesn't detect this.

Can anyone tell me if I'm doing anything wrong, or if the XC-885 doesn't support H10 or what can be done...?

Thanks,

Paul.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,424 Trailblazer

The XC-885 models support NVMe x4 on that M.2 bus, so should support the H10 hybrid drive. I assume you have the installation guide for the H10 from Intel? Do you have the BIOS (Advanced; Integrated Peripherals) set to RST with Optane? You also need to have the iRST drivers extracted to your Windows installation flash drive. You also need to configure the BIOS to have Secure Boot disabled and the F12 Boot Menu enabled. With all that done, you should be able to use the F12 boot menu to choose the flash drive, then start the install and when it gets to the screen that isn't showing your SSD to load the iRST drivers. Then the SSD should show and the install can proceed. Once the install is complete Windows should be working on the SSD with the Optane memory accelerating the disk access.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PVGraham

Thanks for the reply. The iRST driver gives a choice of two - is there one that I should use over the other? Or will either be OK?

Thanks,

Paul.

• billsey

Get the version 17, not the hot fix for version 16.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PVGraham

Thanks again. Hopefully this will be the final question, but which of the driver options should I install?

• billsey

The NVMe version, since your H10 is an NVMe drive.