Spin SP314-54N replacement hinges Does anyone know an exact part number for these

Lorby
Lorby Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

Hi everyone! New to this forum, hoping someone might be able to help me out trying to find a replacement left hinge for an Acer Spin SP314-54N-311V. Any of the SP314-54N hinges should fit though. I cannot find them anywhere! I've seen mention of them once or twice on odd sites, but the image is not of the correct hinge. I've seen them with a full top panel and LCD assembly but that would cost more than the device. Does anyone know an exact part number for these guys, or even better somewhere to actually buy them?

Thanks heaps for your help everyone :)

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• I will try to get that information!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,476 Trailblazer

Maybe @egydiocoelho can finding something. But AFAIK the hinges are only sold integrated into the touchscreen assembly part no. 6M.HQCN1.001. This seems to be a trend that probably offers production and other advantages. Similar to integrating or molding cheap keyboards into costly top palmrest assemblies. While it might eliminate screws and production assembly costs, it often makes it harder to replace cheaper parts that were once easily removed with screws. Perhaps if you could remove the hinge and post a phone photo, we might be able to find something that would work. It certainly does appear to be different than similar spin models shown below that are affixed entirely with screws.

Jack E/NJ

• Lorby

Tinkerer

Thanks for the replies :)

I certainly hope that there is a way to get the hinges separately. Otherwise one broken hinge will write this still very new laptop off completely :(

Here is a picture of the hinge (with the cover removed), it is still affixed with screws on both sides and I had no issue removing it. Unfortunately I cannot see any other Acer hinges that are similar enough that they would work. And I've been looking through tons of them.

The Hinge has the number 200707 stamped on it, if that means anything useful.

• JackE

>>>I certainly hope that there is a way to get the hinges separately. Otherwise one broken hinge will write this still very new laptop off completely :(>>>

What's broken on the hinge? How 'very new' is this laptop?

Jack E/NJ

• Lorby

Tinkerer

edited September 2022

I shouldn't say very new, but quite new. It is an 18 month old 10th gen model.

Bracket is sheared off the pin, I don't believe it's repairable.

The price of a new top panel with LCD and digitizer etc. just to get the replacement hinge would cost more than this laptop is worth. The only fault this one has is this broken hinge though, screen assembly is still perfect.

• JackE

The pin still looks intact. Doesn't look to me like it's sheared off the bracket. Looks like a retaining c-clip on the end of the pin fell off. This would let the bracket to slip off the pin. Try slipping the pin back into the bracket. Then put a dab of JB Weld epoxy on the end of the pin. Let it set. So the bracket can't slip off the pin.

Jack E/NJ

• Lorby

Tinkerer

Alright, I've tried to get some pics as best I can with this phone. There is no clip, the hinge pin extends out to a flat plate, it's all one piece (or at least it should be) then there's 2 rivets into the bracket. It's not like the top part that attaches differently.

The metal is snapped and no amount of JB weld that would fit in there will hold it.

• JackE

>>>The metal is snapped and no amount of JB weld that would fit in there will hold it.>>>

OK. That looks like a fractured metal casting. How well do the surfaces of the snapped off pieces fit together? If they fit back together closely, acrylonitrile (super or krazy glue) should work pretty well.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer

Let me try to escalate. The laptop is new enough that finding a hinge on the secondary market will be hit and miss still, and that would be the best source for a hinge without the full display.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Lorby

Tinkerer

They fit together ok but Krazy glue isn't going to hold with the torque these hinges get.

Thank you. I just got a response from Acer parts in Australia and they only want to sell me an entire LCD display. Which as expected is worth about what the whole laptop is. Frustrating as I can see most other Acer laptop models seem to have hinges available separately, even relatively new models.

• JackE

>>>They fit together ok but Krazy glue isn't going to hold with the torque these hinges get.>>>

Yes. It should. I've found that the low viscosity monomer liquid makes a surprisingly strong bond between porous metal castings. It seeps into the metal pores and sufaces. The metal catalyses the liquid to polymerise after a few minutes of holding the broken pieces together. Worth a try.

Jack E/NJ

• MarkusSb
    MarkusSb Member Posts: 3 New User

I have the exact same Problem currently with my Model (the same, 10th gen i5). Did you ever figure out a solution to this? For me, it is the right hinge that snapped :(

• billsey

I have yet to see one with an actual broken hinge. All that seem to have the issue have their hinge pulled away from the case. A good metal epoxy will rebuild the screw mounts in the case to fix the problem, without having to actually replace the case itself.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Lorby

Tinkerer

Nope, never did :(. Still can't find one. Laptop is still in a bag disassembled for the last 15 months :(.

Did you look at the photos? The hinge is 100% snapped

• JackE

As suggested over a year ago, photos seem to show fractured metal castings. If the surfaces of the broken pieces mate together well, SuperGlue or KrazyGlue should make a strong bond.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey

The second user, who camped out on your thread a year after you opened it, didn't provide pictures showing a broken hinge. Acer doesn't sell the hinges for this model separate from the display assembly

• JackE

> >They fit together ok but Krazy glue isn't going to hold with the torque these hinges get.> >Laptop is still in a bag disassembled for the last 15 months > >

Some videos for the dis-believers amongst us. 😁

Jack E/NJ