PC does not recognize a hard drive in Acer XC-1660G need a Bios Update

Heatvent
Heatvent Member Posts: 1 New User
edited September 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

The bios update instructions for UEFI say to set "Launch CSM" to never. Under Boot Options I don't have a "Lauch CSM" option. I also noted a "Flash BIOS" option under Advanced but this method of updating the BIOS is not covered in the instructions.

FYI, I can't seem to get the PC to recognize a hard drive so no windows installed. I am trying to update the BIOS to see fi that fixes so I need to do this from a USB drive.

Thanks!

[Thread was edited to include the topic issue]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    edited September 2022

Unpack the bios version R01-B0 last update and ONLY use the executable file AFUWINx64.EXE that ins in the "Win" folder that

If your "HDD is not Detected" there are many guides and fixes on the web as 99% of the time it's not because of a bios issue or a need for a bios update, so WHY DO YOU WANT TO FLASH THE BIOS. as its because of the HDD. The first thing you should do is to check the actual HDD if it has any issues, second is to use another HDD and see if the XC-1660G recognizes the HDD. As no bios flash will fix that, BE VERY CAREFUL with a bios flash, especially doing a cmd prompt/dos flash that can be tricky and you can and will brick your bios chip, making your desktop inoperable and needing a replacement bios chip. Be warned! If the HDD is a mechanical HDD then its 99% of the reasons of your problem(s) so use another HDD and test your XC-1660G out, before going and changing/flashing the bios.

If eventually and you get the HDD and the Win-10 OS installed and working, the easiest and most user-friendly way for a consumer that does NOT have experience (and btw, should not do a bios flash) is to flashes the bios within windows OS and to use the last bios update bios Version: R01-B0 at >WIN folder >AFUWINx64.EXE. which is a simple process. Also make sure that you take the usual bios pre flash precautions of the following: switch off your antivirus or any other software, make sure that your system is not susceptible to bsod's and any main power outages, as all these factors could disturb the bios flash process and brick your system.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Yeah, Launch CSM is only used in some of the older motherboard designs, not in your XC-1660G. I gather you pulled the original drive for some reason? Are you trying a SATA HDD, a SATA SSD or an M.2 card (either SATA or NVMe SSD)? In your BIOS under Advanced; Integrated Peripherals what do you have the SATA and NVMe devices shown as? Is the SATA controller enabled and what is the SATA mode set to?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Drcooper
    Drcooper Member Posts: 3 New User

Okay, time add to this question.

I just ordered and received an recertified Acer XC-1660G-UW92. I purchased this to turn into a router. I tried to install the pfsense software (multiple versions) and it has failed to see the drive multiple times. I took the drive out and put it in a USB adapter and it is seen without issue. But the pfsense software fails to launch correctly once the nvme hard drive is reinstalled.

I also had considered a firmware update, and was going to do it via the windows update process. But when I try to reinstall windows, no hard drive is identified during the install. Even the bios does not recognize it anymore.

I have been dealing with computers for a very long time, but this one has me confused. I have been using the BeeLink NUC's for my small computer needs, but thought I would try an Acer because of the price point. Would be a disappointment if my first attempt is bad hardware.

Anyone have any thoughts? Am I dealing with an intermittent board or nvme hard drive.

• Drcooper

Someone also needs to let me know how to change my avatar. Hearts for my eyes, really?

• Drcooper

Never mind, I found the issue.

I had to change onboard sata controller from INTEL RST to AHCI. Once I did that, all drives show up without any problems.

I did update the bios firmware via the Windows optional update process, which reset it back to Intel RST, so it failed to boot properly. Changed the onboard sata controller back to AHCI, and system booted fine.

Kind of a pathetic problem that seems like it should be documented better or fixed. Especially since I am using only the hardware provide so far.

Now to try pfsense again.

Maybe someone smarter than me can explain why this was a problem.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

The issue you ran into is that the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers aren't included in the pfSense software images. In general the Linux developers have chosen to not bind iRST drivers into the kernel, so it's just easier to disable it than to try and get it working. There are other options in Linux to handle redundancy and RAID, though I'd suggest you invest in a RAID card if you were going to use a server as something more than just a firewall.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.